GBDURO won by Mark Beaumont

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Angus Young hammered GBDURO this year and left Mark Beaumont hours behind. Unfortunately, its not over until the fat lady sings. In the final stage the bearings on Angus bike disintegrated. At this stage Angus could have tried to find an LBS and get it fixed, rejoin the race and still win. But for whatever reason, he borrowed a Dot watchers bike and rode to the finish, coming inside the course record, as he did so. This meant a disqualification for outside assistance and second place Mark being declared the winner.

A superb ride by Angus, who was just unlucky. Reading his story will be interesting.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Rulz is rulz.

They'll be disqualifying folks who run down mountains with broken forks who then get the blacksmith's lad to operate the bellows while they weld the things together again. Shocking breaking of the rulz.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Angus Young hammered GBDURO this year and left Mark Beaumont hours behind. Unfortunately, its not over until the fat lady sings. In the final stage the bearings on Angus bike disintegrated. At this stage Angus could have tried to find an LBS and get it fixed, rejoin the race and still win. But for whatever reason, he borrowed a Dot watchers bike and rode to the finish, coming inside the course record, as he did so. This meant a disqualification for outside assistance and second place Mark being declared the winner.

A superb ride by Angus, who was just unlucky. Reading his story will be interesting.
I suspect Beaumont will accept the award with a little embarrassment, knowing he was beaten on the day by the better man.

Sharky

Guru
Rulz is rulz.

They'll be disqualifying folks who run down mountains with broken forks who then get the blacksmith's lad to operate the bellows while they weld the things together again. Shocking breaking of the rulz.
Think you are referring to Eugene Christophe in the 1915 tdf. I think he just had a 10 minute penalty.

I wonder what he would make of clip less pedals

OP
OP
steveindenmark

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I suspect Beaumont will accept the award with a little embarrassment, knowing he was beaten on the day by the better man.
I dont think he will be embarrassed. But its not the way he would have wanted to win it and he will certainly say that. Its just the way the game goes .

OP
OP
steveindenmark

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I seem to remember that in an early TDF one rider did just that and was disqualified. I have the reference somewhere but it would take some time to find it. Twentysix by twentyfive obviously got there before me.
Edit. It seems he only got a penalty and not disqualified.
Something very similar happened in an early Transcontinental Race. Someone found a guy with a Welder in the middle of nowhere and got their bike fixed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom