GBDuro

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
But the risk in question is mainly one of getting caught for a short while behind a bunch of cyclists and being slowed down a bit.
I'm not sure what legal framework - or branch of Health and Safety - would consider this a "risk".

So unless they have squared things legally the participants could be at risk of facing enormous fines (not exceeding ten of your English pounds).
So is the issue now resolved to your satisfaction? :-)

I hope my input was helpful!

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
It's still a pretty disastrous outcome for many. Depends who you ask. :smile:

Not disastrous when stuck behind vehicles of the same type as theirs or they are holding up someone behind them. Which let’s face it is what happens 99% of the time.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
The rules for this ride are basically the rules written down by Mike Hall for the Transcontinental Race. Had Angus been halfway down the field, there would have been a chance that his change of bike would have been overlooked. But a lot of the Ultra rules are open to interpretation and often comes down to how much do you want to cheat yourself? Angus had such a lead he could maybe have got the wheel repaired and still won the race. I look forward to seeing why that did not pan out. But his disqualification was the right thing.

My mate, Nick Spencer- Vellacott came in 6th. Other friends, Chris Bower and Sharon Calton set off as a pair but Sharon had to pull out due to injury. This was their second attempt. Chris carried on and will finish today. Sharon is miffed as she has done the hardest part of the course twice now. 😊

It’s not a single stage race like other events. It’s split into four stages. When you get to the end of a stage you get to rest up till the next stage start time. Which is not that long after the previous stage deadline. The winner is the one with the least accumulated time across the four stages. Time stopped at the end of each stage isn’t counted.

This does mean the faster riders get more rest without it affecting there cumulative time. So can generally keep going at a reasonable pace. Whilst if your on the limit. You are without rest and will see your speed drop and drop and drop.

You can’t gain time by not resting at the end of a stage. You can only gain time during a stage.

I think the deadline of each stage is set so riders have to cover a min of 210km every 24 hours or there abouts.
<re-dons dunce hat>
So there is a rest day after 3 of the 4 stages ... Presumably the cut-off (for Stage 3) is many hours before the permitted start of Stage 4. Is that right? Very unusual format, but I rather like it!

It's funny how Ultras are mainly a solo event (i.e. limited riding in bunches, grouplets etc) compared to audax/sportives, but the events strongly promote hanging out together "off the clock".

OP
OP
Proto

Proto

Legendary Member
She also entered the Montañas Vacias - 680km and 13000m, riding with her elder sister. Looks very tough terrain.

https://montanasvacias.com/

GuyBoden

Guru
Started at 8am Sat 13th.

Alexander Kopp currently in front near the 200km point, but not too far in front.

Molly Weaver riding well in 6th position.

A very challenging ride, made more difficult in this heat.:bravo:

1.1 GBDURO Sat 17:19.png

GuyBoden

Guru
Alexander Kopp is still in front by about 25km, but with no sleep, he seems to have gone off route before the Severn Bridge.

Molly Weaver has moved into 5th position, but did she also go off route before the Severn Bridge.

1.4 GBDuro Sun 14th 10am.png

GuyBoden

Guru
Alexander Kopp, Huw Oliver, Christophe Dijkmans, Molly Weaver, Samuel Thompson and Bryn Davies are the first few to ride to control point 1 (latest update 9:30am), so the end of stage 1 for them, well done a truly excellent ride in this heat. Stage 2 starts at 8am Tuesday and is also the cut off time for riders to complete stage 1, so a good rest for the leaders and less for everyone else.

If Stage 1 was Heat, then Stage 2 looks like Rain and Thunder.

Stage 2 passes my local rides, so hopefully I might see a few of these tough, brave, endurance riders.:okay:

Last edited:
Top Bottom