Gear adjustment - help needed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I've just been reading Cathryn's topic with interest, as I need to adjust my front gear bit ... I'm completely non technical (I have the Haynes manual which I don't get on with ). I'm hoping the chain isn't worn.
If I am on my middle ring at the front ... I'm hearing a chain noise as if it might be rubbing. If I want to change from the smallest (no 1), to the middle one (no 2), it often doesn't change when I press the lever, so I press it a bit extra and then it does change. It changes down from 2 to 1 with no problem. Oh and it doesn't change upto 3 at all.

Now I could take it to my LBS next week (but I know he thinks I'm really thick when it comes to maintenance), but I would like to have a go myself and if I mess up I could turn up next Tuesday and look very apologetic at him. I know I have an adjuster on my handlebars... do I twiddle it and if so which direction (based on me sitting on the bike so I know which way to turn it).

I'm sure you didn't think anyone would require this basic level of instruction but I do I'm afraid...:blush: I'm going on a one day maintenance course in Feb ... but my gears can't wait that long.

(And the back gears are out too but I thought one lot at a time)

could be a slack cable. when the chain is on the smallest ring, is there any slack in the cable?
it should be tight but not so tight as to stop the front mech hitting the inner limit screw,(clear as mud?)
if there is slack in the cable undo the cable lock nut,with the chain on the smallest ring, and pull the cable tight, tighten the nut.
should work ok now, if it doesn't the problem lies somewhere else.
you could use the adjuster at the lever but personaly i'd save that for any fine tuning whilst on the road.

frog

If you adjust anything always write down what you did and by how much. The back of my old shed door is covered with notes like this. Date, what you changed, how much turned and in what direction.

As far as adusting I'd do no more than a half a turn at a time and see what effect that has.

If the bike is newish and done around 1500 miles then you might need a new chain because of the side-to-side wear. The thing I found was when I got the adjustment from inner to middle right it threw out the middle to outer and also prevented a change down again. If that's the case for you I'd look for a new chain and put the adjustment back where it was when you found it.

OP
OP
summerdays

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Do I check the chain by pulling it away from the front ring?

Bike is in shed at the moment ... its too dark and cold to look now ... so this is in preparation for tomorrow after I pick up the kids. Not prepared to fiddle with anything before work tomorrow.... better the bike gear changing a bit off than completely broken.

I'll be travelling down from York this weekend for a meeting, If you're anywhere near Staple Hill I'm free on Friday afternoon and will have my tools with me if you'd like me to (show you how to) fix it.

Will work for tea and hobnobs.

PM me

mondobongo

Über Member
If you don't meet up with Mickle, there is a great article on adjusting gears on Sheldon Browns site Here

Its not a difficult thing to learn, if you are not replacing any cables you will only need an allen key to loosen and tighten pinch bolts. Its one of those little jobs that you should know how to do and will empower you once you can do it.

OP
OP
summerdays

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Thanks to Mickle - I now have a bike with working gears:biggrin:, adjusted brakes:biggrin: - but I also know I need to replace my chain!;) Hopefully some of the advice has gone in, and yes there was slack in the cable (part though not all of the problem).

(Might practise on hubby's bike first though ... Mines all nicely set up, and it won't matter if I mess his up now will it:evil:).

OP
OP
summerdays

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Thanks to Mickle - I now have a bike with working gears:biggrin:, adjusted brakes:biggrin: - but I also know I need to replace my chain!;) Hopefully some of the advice has gone in, and yes there was slack in the cable (part though not all of the problem).

(Might practise on hubby's bike first though ... Mines all nicely set up, and it won't matter if I mess his up now will it:evil:).

frog

Big round of virtual applause for Mickle :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Now, just how is summerdays going to explain to hubby how her bike got nicely fixed up and his didn't ;)

frog

Now, just how is summerdays going to explain to hubby how her bike got nicely fixed up and his didn't ;)

OP
OP
summerdays

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
frog said:

He doesn't use his as much as me so isn't showing signs of wear... however he didn't seem that pleased with the idea of me practising on his bike....

OP
OP
summerdays

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
frog said:

He doesn't use his as much as me so isn't showing signs of wear... however he didn't seem that pleased with the idea of me practising on his bike....

Top Bottom