Gear and cable replacement and brake pads

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dave147

How much should I be looking at paying for a set of cables to be replaced on my 2016 giant defy o. Also not sure if my pads need replacing they don’t seem as good I now They won’t worn all the way down as I don’t do 1000’s of miles.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Just a few quid from somewhere like Decathlon unless you want to spend more on premium brands.
Don't forget to grease them and buy some of the little end caps to stop fraying. You should be able to cut the cables with a decent pliers which has a cutter.
Remove the pads and inspect them, if they're down to 1-2mm replace them.

Ajax Bay

Guru
How much should I be looking at paying for a set of [brake and gear] cables to be replaced on my 2016 giant defy
Your use of the passive infinitive means you're going to get your LBS (or other) to do this for you; right? So labour and cables? Phone your LBS and ask?
Bear in mind that with 105 reusing the cable outers under your bar tape will reduce the expense (cos unwinding and retaping the bars will take time).

Last edited:

boydj

Legendary Member
Just a few quid from somewhere like Decathlon unless you want to spend more on premium brands.
Don't forget to grease them and buy some of the little end caps to stop fraying. You should be able to cut the cables with a decent pliers which has a cutter.
Remove the pads and inspect them, if they're down to 1-2mm replace them.

The cutter on most pliers will not do a clean cut on a cable - neither inner nor outer. A good cable cutter is a worthwhile investment.

Top Bottom