Gear box oil for cassette/chain etc on new bike-good or bad?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My new bike arrived today. I`ve put the bits on-front wheel, seat and pedals. It`s sat in the passage at the moment and not seen the light of day yet. Just had it in the living room taking some pics for when I write up my review on here. Ah the joy of living alone (Probably the reason I`m living alone).

Anyway, what I wanted to ask is would it be a good idea to put either some hypoid gearbox oil on, or maybe some clean engine oil on the gears and chain etc? I cannot see a problem apart from maybe bits of grit possibly sticking to it. But, if not lubricated sufficiently it will surely wear quicker. I`ve heard of dry lube but I`m finding it a bit difficult to convince myself of that method. I tend not to cycle in wet weather, and can use my old MTB if I feel the need, as I`ve put road tyres on it now.

What do you guys think about the lube options?

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
Gearbox or hypoid is exactly what I use. Cheap, more than capable of handling the pressures involved, quite good for fling resistance.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I tried using dry lube once. While the drive train stayed cleaner, I found it difficult to apply enough lube for it not to squeak after less than 100 miles. I much prefer wet lube with the exterior chain parts well ragged down to reduce clingy muck and grit.

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
Gear oil stinks so I wouldn't use it. I have been using clean engine oil for years (why buy more oil when I already have gallons of the stuff?) and my drive trains last just fine. Apply carefully, and wipe off any excess thoroughly and you will be fine.
I think people that believe that brand A super oil works better than brand b standard oil are generally misguided.
There is an argument for dry lube rather than wet lube in dry dusty conditions (but I still use engine oil)
I don't hold the same views about economy where grease is used as grease tends to stay in place for a long time and has to deal with tough conditions - so I do use a quality grease.

Drago

Legendary Member
Synthetic gear oil barely smells at all. It's the old fashioned stuff what's pongy.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Only oil the chain. You may want to decant some engine oil into a dropper bottle. You need only one little drop on each chain roller, that's all. You don't need to oil the cassette or outer edges of the chain. The oil will spread.

Even a small bottle of bike chain oil lasts a very long time.

Last edited:

MattDB

Über Member
I religiously cleaned my chain and dry lubed it once a week. Rusted really badly and snapped on me after 500 miles. Next chain hasn't seen any degreaser and use the cheap cheap oil and clean only with a rag. I won't touch dry lube again.

bpsmith

Veteran
I religiously cleaned my chain and dry lubed it once a week. Rusted really badly and snapped on me after 500 miles. Next chain hasn't seen any degreaser and use the cheap cheap oil and clean only with a rag. I won't touch dry lube again.
Do you think it had anything to do with not drying the chain after cleaning? Or even lubing when chain still wet?

Have used dry lube on my bikes since new and not experienced what you have on either.

Top Bottom