Gear/Brake cable

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
What signs do you get when a gear /brake cable is on its way? i.e. time to change.

Mine are three months old and travel 120 miles a week. They're starting to develop light rust and are getting frayed.

The front mech is also not shifting properly - it's clean and lubed, and I've done the usual cable adjustments. I can only think that the gear cable needs changing. It's also a little thinner than the other cables (brakes & RD).

With some makes the gear cabling is narrower than the brake cabling as it has to be more precise.

The front mech problem could be down to the cable needing a good clean especially if there is a sharp bend to the outer cabling - I'd take the cable off,give it a clean with a dry washing up pad and then pop a small amount of Vaseline on it. This will lubricate it and protect from further rust.

If the cable is fraying at the ends then you need caps. If it is fraying at the vice point then the cable is cheesy stuff and needs replacing.

tyred

Legendary Member
It should definitely last longer than three months. I have a forty year old bike with original cables and all working fine.

Top Bottom