Gear cable jamming etc with duel type shifters

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
This could be down to me? I do tend to change gears quite a lot in respect of the cassette. I rarely have need to change between the chain rings and have not had any issues with that side.

Both my road bikes have duel shifters, and both of these have needed the cable changing for the cassette . The Triban snapped inside the shifter. On the Rose bike the cable was frayed inside the shifter and was sticking in the outer cable instead of freely moving. Do others have any similar issues? I think I will try to stay in gear number 9.It is high enough and not too difficult to pedal. Most of my usual ride is quite flat. I think I must be causing damage to the cable when I am trying to change higher when I am already in gear 11 without realising it:notworthy:. I need to start counting as I am going up the gears.

gbb

Legendary Member
Never really had issues on my roadbikes, I have had breaks near the nipple on flatbar shifters.
Cable quality ? Any corrosion causing excess friction ?
I could imagine if you were inadvertently shifting beyond the range it would stress the cable, add maybe mediocre quality cables, ...equally, you might have just had bad luck

This could be down to me? I do tend to change gears quite a lot in respect of the cassette. I rarely have need to change between the chain rings and have not had any issues with that side.

Both my road bikes have duel shifters, and both of these have needed the cable changing for the cassette . The Triban snapped inside the shifter. On the Rose bike the cable was frayed inside the shifter and was sticking in the outer cable instead of freely moving. Do others have any similar issues? I think I will try to stay in gear number 9.It is high enough and not too difficult to pedal. Most of my usual ride is quite flat. I think I must be causing damage to the cable when I am trying to change higher when I am already in gear 11 without realising it:notworthy:. I need to start counting as I am going up the gears.

Are they Shimano STI shifters ? I have heard of them chewing gear cables at the lever but never experienced it myself.

Venod

Eh up
I have had a couple of cable failures over the years, both at the point of exit from the levers where the the bend in the cable forms, this is with Shimano 105 levers, I think they changed the routing slightly to address this but not sure of the model numbers, not using your gears to stop this happening is a radical solution, if you didn't ride your bike you could eliminate any maintenance completely.

Jameshow

Veteran
I have had a couple of cable failures over the years, both at the point of exit from the levers where the the bend in the cable forms, this is with Shimano 105 levers, I think they changed the routing slightly to address this but not sure of the model numbers, not using your gears to stop this happening is a radical solution, if you didn't ride your bike you could eliminate any maintenance completely.

5700 irrc?

T4tomo

Guru

not sure what dual type shifters really means, but I'm thinking your on drop bars??)...

in any event, changing inner cables (ideally before the fray and snap) is just part of regular maintenance. They are cheap so every 2or 3 years an new set shouldn't be a great financial burden, do it when you are changing bar tape. you can get away with much longer intervals on the mechanically simpler flat bar shifters.

The more modern levers where the gear cable exits under the bar tape (as opposed to washing lines out of the side) are inherently harder on inner cables due to the angle it leaves the shifting mechanism.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
not sure what dual type shifters really means, but I'm thinking your on drop bars??)...

in any event, changing inner cables (ideally before the fray and snap) is just part of regular maintenance. They are cheap so every 2or 3 years an new set shouldn't be a great financial burden, do it when you are changing bar tape. you can get away with much longer intervals on the mechanically simpler flat bar shifters.

The more modern levers where the gear cable exits under the bar tape (as opposed to washing lines out of the side) are inherently harder on inner cables due to the angle it leaves the shifting mechanism.

Dual control levers, common name for levers that you both change gear and brake with.

Scottish Scrutineer

Über Member
The cables deteriorate with use. Usually check them when there's any signs of changing issues that a simple indexing check doesn't cure. Replacement inners (stainless not galvanised) are about £3-£5

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Known issue with newer model Shimano shifters as the cable routing inside the shifter has a bend in it .on my 4700 shifters it literally jammed mid ride .

Svendo

Guru
Uncharacteristically I just checked my rear cable in the shifter as changing was a bit sticky. I’d usually wait until the cables snapped! It was fine, issue was all the crud at the BB guide.
If/when a cable snaps be VERY careful removing the nipple and stub of cable from the shifter. They can disappear into the shifter body quite easily. There seems to be enough space to accommodate at least one. Guess how I know this!

I've not had a gear cable break ever as far as I can remember and I had the first version of Shimano STI with my dura ace back in the early 90s. Maybe even the late 80s.

I'd only be changing mine if I was replacing the group set.

I don't change gear cables when I change bar tape either - am I a bad mechanic?

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
I’ve only ever had one cable break in the shifter. My friend has had two break while I’ve been riding with him. He does much less cycling than me but is forever changing gear!
Both shifters were 105.

Top Bottom