Gear Cable

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gummo

The rear derailleur gear cable on my Giant Escape 0 bike has snapped. The shifter is a Shimano Deore Sl-M610. The cable housing says JAGWIRE LEX which is eroded at one point.

I've never had to replace a gear cable or housing - are they all universal?

Attachments

• IMG_20221123_123047.jpg
    IMG_20221123_123047.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 5

T4tomo

Guru
yes, brake and gear cables are different, but gear cable is universal.

some come with two types of ends for flat bar or drop bar shifters and brakes, you just cut off the inappropriate end and thread the right one.

that outer cable has been rubbing on something though. it could do with a protector fitted or some helicopter tape on the frame?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gummo

Gummo

It has rubbed the paint off the fork at that point.

Do you think my electrical cutter is worth trying (the bit to the left of the teeth)?

Ajax Bay

Guru
I don't think it'll be up to the job of neatly cutting the outer (it's the shearing action you need, whereas I think the one you linked to 'nips'/compresses) and may not actually be able to cut the (1.2mm dia) bowden cable. But I haven't got one of those. Think I saw some inexpensive ones in the Px 'sale' . . . . yes; this on-one: https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TOOOCC/on-one-cable-cutter ('half price' @ £8). I have the Draper version.

Last edited:

T4tomo

Guru
I'd also investigate why that cable has rubbed so much, maybe slightly too short a run of outer cable pulling it tight against the frame

OP
OP
Gummo

Gummo

I managed to get the Jagwire gear cable and housing for £5 - the housing is exactly the 1 metre length of my existing housing. The original has lasted 8 years, so I'll think about replacing it again in 5 years.

geocycle

Legendary Member
One thing I discovered recently is that Shimano gear cable is 1.2mm while Clark’s, Rohloff and Sram is 1.1 mm. Won’t make a difference for most applications but worth knowing if things seem tight.

Lookrider

One thing I discovered recently is that Shimano gear cable is 1.2mm while Clark’s, Rohloff and Sram is 1.1 mm. Won’t make a difference for most applications but worth knowing if things seem tight.

Thsts maybe of interest to me
I have a front fork remote that does not spring back ?
If I disconnect the gear cable the fork crown does spring back so the issue must be a cable/ outer or the remote trigger
It's a new shimano outer and a new Clarke cable .....is this mismatch perhaps the issue

Top Bottom