gear cable

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dickie134

I need to re-tension a rear gear cable which was fitted a couple of months ago. The problem is that it is difficult to change from second lowest gear to lowest gear - it requires considerable pressure on the gear level. I have looked at online videos but I'm not sure whether to tighten or loosen the cable (using the allen nut - there appears to be no barrel screw) or screw in or out the de-railleur limiting screws. Hope you can help. Thanks.

Ajax Bay

Guru
:welcome: Screw out the L limit screw half a turn. Test. Maybe all that's needed.
If not, another half turn, but no more. Check the cage will go across by hand.
No joy? Screw out the adjuster on the RD cable entry 'point', one turn.
Unusual for there to be no adjuster, but if so, cable 'shortening' increases the chance of getting the cage across to the largest sprocket.
Bear in mind this is 'mummy bear' as too much (aka cable a tad too short) will mean you can't get into the small sprocket.
Once good indoors, go and test on the road.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Dickie134

OK. Thank you all. I'll take some photos tomorrow and upload them.
In the meantime, can I ask how one differentiates between the two de railleur limiting screws - I assume they are 'high' and 'low'?
And also, what does 'RD' stand for?
Many thanks.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
In the meantime, can I ask how one differentiates between the two de railleur limiting screws - I assume they are 'high' and 'low'?
Many thanks.

Look closely and you’ll see

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Many thanks.

RD= rear derailuer
FD= front derailuer.

OP
OP
D

Dickie134

Hi, please see attached photos.
Many thanks.

Attachments

• 010FF377-81F4-49B2-9BF5-E8737C6AD8AF.jpeg
    010FF377-81F4-49B2-9BF5-E8737C6AD8AF.jpeg
    120.2 KB · Views: 9
  • E7F41FF7-F592-429A-91C3-D002F2197CC0.jpeg
    E7F41FF7-F592-429A-91C3-D002F2197CC0.jpeg
    170 KB · Views: 6
  • 787FC907-1B78-45D8-B8B5-DB04EF62DCE0.jpeg
    787FC907-1B78-45D8-B8B5-DB04EF62DCE0.jpeg
    167.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 6A71123A-FA63-466B-8A2F-0C9FB18250C1.jpeg
    6A71123A-FA63-466B-8A2F-0C9FB18250C1.jpeg
    91.1 KB · Views: 6
OP
OP
D

Dickie134

As you can see, the right hand screw (bike is upside down btw) is a long way out and the left hand one a long way in.
You can also see the allen nut on the cable but I can't see a barrel adjuster or similar.
I'm new to bike mechanics so simple instructions would be appreciated.
Thanks.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
As you can see, the right hand screw (bike is upside down btw) is a long way out and the left hand one a long way in.
You can also see the allen nut on the cable but I can't see a barrel adjuster or similar.
I'm new to bike mechanics so simple instructions would be appreciated.
Thanks.

I'm not sure which screws you are referring to.

Regardless, two things to point out...

1) The cable tension can be adjusted at the lever with the adjuster circled in blue. Turn anticlockwise to increase tension. But...

2) There's a big problem - the frayed end circled in red should not be there. Rather the end of the cable has a neat grommet on the end which slots in to the adjuster. It's astonishing the gears work at all! You need a new cable.

Screenshot_20230113_162057_Chrome.jpg

Reactions: C R
OP
OP
D

Dickie134

Thank you for your reply.
Turns out that with the bike upside down I had photographed the wrong lever: that frayed cable is the end of the seat dropper post!!
Sorry about that.
However, there is an adjuster (identical to the one you have circled in blue) on the gear cable and turning this appears to have solved the problem (although I haven't riden it yet).
Thanks again.

Top Bottom