gear change - delayed reaction...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maz

Guru
I've just started re-riding my bike to work this week after 6 weeks off following a bike-off.

I've now noticed that when I change between gears on the rear cassette, there is a delayed reaction (say 10sec) before the gear engages.

I have a Spesh Sirrus - maybe I need to adjust the gear cabling or something. Maybe the bike got a bit damaged when I came off.

Any suggestions?

Monkey Boy

Cycling Plus did a really good gear maintenance spread recently. First port of call is give the whole thing a clean and re-lube. If your delay continues then you might want to fettle / re-index / adjust.

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
domtyler said:
Two new wheels, a complete new chainset and new levers and cables will fix it.
Let's face it, it's a write-off. Best get a new bike.
I've got my eye on your Dolan? ;)

02GF74

Über Member
weak spring in derailleur - I have this on my commute bike .... .... not a major problem since I don't use those little cogs but .... one day I'll get around to buying a new XT mech......

Dave5N

Über Member
New cables first!

First lube the cables. If that doesn't work take a good close look at the rear mech, a fall on that side often causes a burr or deformation at the point where the parallelogram meets the main body which restricts it's function. The mech will work going up the block because you are providing the motive power but the spring cant cope with the extra drag on the way down.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
You might have bent the hanger and need to bend it back. I did that recently when the bike fell over as I was opening the flat door - it landed heavily on the derailleur side. I didn't notice the slight bend until spending a long time trying to sort the shifting out - I'd adjust it so it was fine shifting up, but it would stick shifting down and be very hesitant to change, then suddenly do so about 5 - 10 secs later. If I sorted that with adjusting the cable tension, it would then do the opposite and get sticky shifting up instead. I could never get it going smoothly both ways and always ended up with very hesitant shifting one way or another.

Bent the hanger back and I was able to adjust the shifting perfectly afterwards.

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
fossyant said:
You sorted it yet ?
No mate. I've lubed the chain and rear derailleur with muck-off, and I still have the problem...moving UP the gears on the rear cassette (i.e. going to a smaller ring) causes a delay in gear engagement.

I find I have to go UP 2 gears on the rear, then down 1 in order to get into the gear I want.

domtyler

Über Member
Maz said:
No mate. I've lubed the chain and rear derailleur with muck-off, and I still have the problem...moving UP the gears on the rear cassette (i.e. going to a smaller ring) causes a delay in gear engagement.

I find I have to go UP 2 gears on the rear, then down 1 in order to get into the gear I want.

Your lubing your bike with MuckOff? ;):wacko:

Top Bottom