Gear indexing issue

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jdratcliffe

ok to start with wed's ride home was full of sloppy gear changes and just not a plesent ride so i got home cleaned it up and stuck her on the stand tighten the gear wire using the tension knob but it did nothing so i undid the cable and pulled it though and the gears shifted perfect though was a little out top and bottom so i thought while i was at it to have a go (my first) at indexing so i set up the bottom ( largest) gear fine and the gears were nice and smooth thou when ajusting the highest limit screw i've messed it up and now i cannot select 9/10th gear i dont have 10 "clicks" on my shifter any more help...

sorry for the essay
basic non blapply
1. tighten the gear wire
2. cant get to select to top highest smallest gears as no "clicks" on the shifters left even with the limit screw way out.

HovR

Über Member
First step, disconnect the gear cable from the derailleur and check that your shifter can select each gear from 1 to 10. If it can, continue on to the second step. If it can't, the shifter is your issue.

Second step, with your gear wire still disconnected, set your high/low stops correctly. To test the low stop, spin the pedals and just push the derailleur manually.

Third step, put the shifter in to gear 10, and spin the pedals a few times to ensure the chain is in gear 10. Thread the gear cable back in to the anchor bolt - IMPORTANT, make sure you pull it taught before tightening the anchor bolt!

Test the gears. If the gears are slow when changing to a bigger sprocket, then increase the cable tension with the barrel adjuster (turn it anti-clockwise). Sometimes half a turn is all it needs.

If the gears are slow when changing to a smaller sprocket, then decrease the cable tension (turn it clockwise).

That's the basics, you may already have tried this, but if you haven't it may also fix your issue.

Edit: Something else to note, is that if it doesn't seem possible (even with minute adjustments to the barrel adjuster) to set the cable tension right for smooth shifting, you may need to change your shifter cables.

Top Bottom