Gear indexing issue

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chris1983

Hi folks.

I'm pulling my hair out here with my road bike. The rear gear indexing was becoming hard to maintain. So I've fully serviced the bike as it had been a while any way and I've had it before where a bit of crap gets in the cable and causes issues.

So I've fitted a new chain, new cables both inner and outer (dura-ace cable set) and new jocky wheels as the others where slightly worn.

So should be easy to set up right? Wrong. I can't get the bloody thing to index. It's no better than it was before I replaced everything. I can get it to index nicely in one direction but not the other.

I've fully removed the cable from the bike and re routed it and checked for snags etc and it looks fine to me. I just can't work out what the issue.

Any ideas are welcome. I've left it for this evening because it was making me angry

Thanks

Chris.

Heigue'r

Veteran
Possibly bent mech hanger?

OP
OP
C

Chris1983

Jockey wheels the right way round? The top one should have float.
Yep. I checked that. The only thing I have noticed is that the new wheels are ever so slightly larger, even accounting for a bit of wear. But I adjusted the b screw very slightly to compensate for this.

Jocky wheels are Uber Bikes jocky wheels. Running these on my other two bikes and never had an issue with them so thought why not add them to the road bike as well.

bpsmith

Veteran
As above, check the hanger before going any further. Worth investing in the tool in my opinion. Have had loads of use out of mine over past few years, despite not ever noticing that I had knocked it.

OP
OP
C

Chris1983

Did u change the cassette as well - if not and it was worn then that may be yuor issue

I did not change the cassette. Just because visually it didn't show any signs of obvious wear.

However this thought did cross my mind.

Thanks for the replies folks. I will fit a new hanger this evening as I've got a spare and if that doesn't fix the issue then I'll order a new cassette. Seeing as everything else has been replaced o might as well replace that as well

Cheers

Chris

OP
OP
C

Chris1983

As above, check the hanger before going any further. Worth investing in the tool in my opinion. Have had loads of use out of mine over past few years, despite not ever noticing that I had knocked it.

Apologies for the daft question but What's is the "the tool"?

Pale Rider

Legendary Member

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I did not change the cassette. Just because visually it didn't show any signs of obvious wear.

However this thought did cross my mind.

Thanks for the replies folks. I will fit a new hanger this evening as I've got a spare and if that doesn't fix the issue then I'll order a new cassette. Seeing as everything else has been replaced o might as well replace that as well

Cheers

Chris
If you fit a new hanger it will still need to be checked for alignment.

Top Bottom