Gear jumping problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
UPDATE: SORTED!
I thought I'd return with an update in case it's of benefit anytime to someone else. I had a situation where the small gear jumped, much in the manner of a stiff link. But they are not stiff. I checked the chain stretch and wear and there is some but not really enough to be responsible. I adjusted the derailleur in all directions and checked the hanger is straight. All these things and no cure.

Anyway, despite keeping everything reasonably clean what I hadn't noticed was what I thought was just a bit of black greasy muck between the gears on the cassette. Specifically between the bottom two gears. There is very little clearance on the links when the chain runs around the smallest gear and it had in fact been reduced to less than nothing by a bit of cotton thread or similar wrapped around that diameter. It was preventing the slack lower portion of the chain from running around correctly and in fact lifting the links up a bit. It was enough to cause havoc. Having dug it out with a small sharp screwdriver it's now all back to normal. Yay!

Thinking about it I should have realised it was something sudden as it happened while my partner was out riding and was ok one minute and no so good the next. Picking up something can occur at any time so worth keeping that part clear and if it all goes wrong, checking that first.

I'm more than pleased to have sorted this without spending out for a change!

Yay - I love it when I am right!
Glad you got it sorted.

Nigelnightmare

Über Member
Glad it was a cheap solution and that everything is alright now.
Good luck on the ride.

Top Bottom