Gear Problems (Derailleur?)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Danny91

Hello,

I have recently got my mountain bike out of the shed after years of sitting there. Fixed a puncture and got going but it seems I cannot change gear - if I try to change it just stays the same as it was before.

Does anyone have any ideas what it might be (I read it could be derailleur allignment) and how to fix this as a beginner?

Thanks

Scilly Suffolk

Über Member
If it has been sat in your shed for years and nothing happens, I'd say with some certainty that the grease in the derailleurs has solidified. Possibly your cables have seized-up too.

Give it a good clean and spray some penetrating fluid into the joints of the derailleur and leave to soak-in for a couple of hours.

If that doesn't work then you'll likely need to remove bits for a deep clean/lube and/or replace the cables.

The Park Tools blog is very helpful and I'd show your chain some love too.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Oh dear. The cable is probably completely seized. If you don't feel able to replace it (and why not all four cables?) you would do better to take the bike along to a shop for a full service and a coat of looking over. This may cost you £50 but as you haven't spent anything on the bike for years I don't suppose this will be a big hardship.

Alternatively find someone who can fettle bikes and buy them a few bottles of decent beer as well as the parts and get them to show you how to fix it.

OP
OP
Danny91

Danny91

Cheers guys

Just sprayed it with WD40 and it is changing gears. It will not go to 1st gear now - does this just require some derailleur adjustment?

Globalti

Legendary Member
Try tightening the cable first as it will have stretched. Next look at the derailleur limit screw although that won't have changed on its own.

You can tighten the cable by unscrewing the barrel adjuster where the cable enters the derailleur. Just one turn at first and check the result.

OP
OP
Danny91

Danny91

Right - no more WD40, got it!

Will try tightening the cables tomorrow as I did notice the metal things under the bike frame (coming from the cables) seemed really floppy and not taut. Cheers for the help, will update you on the happenings.

OP
OP
Danny91

Danny91

I have tightened the gear cables and it is now changing gears, although in the lower gears the spindle is hitting the derailleur. There is no b-screw on this derailleur (Shimano 7 Sis) and it is spring loaded.

Can anybody tell from these pictures how to move the derailleur further away from the cog so that it will ride smoothly in these gears? Thanks

simon.r

Person
In this photo: http://imageshack.us/f/210/1333719138078.jpg/ it look as if the hanger needs to sit lower - you can see gap between the nut that holds the rear wheel in place and the silver hanger. Try loosening the nut and pushing the hanger down - then tighten the nut!

NormanD

Lunatic Asylum Escapee
As above the wheel does not look to be seated correctly in the frame, also check out the gear cable, it's not got a smooth transition (loop)into the rear derailleur. I noted a kink in the outer cable and also, it looks like it's snapped as it enters the cable adjustment screw.

You might have to remove the outer cable and cut a small section off the end (at the ferrule end) and add another ferrule. It's also a good idea to drip some light oil (three in one) into the cable before reattaching.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Looking at it the derailleur is not mounted correctly. It appears to have been fitted so that the mounting bolt is fitted to one of the mudguard eyes. It should be fitted so that the slot in the mounting plate lines up with the drop out slot. The mounting bolt then goes into a plate which clamps it in place.
If you look closely at this: http://www.raleigh.co.uk/ProductType/ProductRange/Product/ProductDetail.aspx?pc=1&pt=15&pg=345 it gives an idea of how it should look.

OP
OP
Danny91

Danny91

Tomorrow I will get the tyre mounted properly and look at the derailleur attachment. Is there any further information about mounting the derailleur that I should know/what to do if there is no b-screw on it?

Thanks guys

Top Bottom