gear questions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chris folder

Hi:smile:all m6l riders your in say 4th or 3rd your approaching a hill you click into 2nd gear your rideing up the hill do your 1st and 2nd gear sounds as smooth as higher gears? or is there more noise? I spoke to few bromptom dealers they said all low gears make more noise than high gears? I just want to make sure mine is ok

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Generally, with most hub gears the further away from 1:1 you are the more noisy they are. My M6R is loudest in low gears. It might be as noisy in top, but there's road and wind noise that drown it out to some degree. My Nexus4 hub geared bike is quietest in low gear, as bottom gear is 1:1 on that hub.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

chris folder

Hi thanks thats good to hear I thought might be my gears mite be playing up its just 1st and 2nd loudest when rideing up hill but coming down its then gos near silent and your right outside noises mask the sound but in a quiet area its quite noticeable the sound from the 2 gears I wounder why all the gears not the same my 3 4 5 6 are near silent just a little quiet classic bromptom tick

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I know different bits of the hub freewheel against each other in different gears, but quite which does what when I'm not sure. My one has had very little attention in six years. It just works :biggrin:

Brommyboy

Über Member
The 3-speed is 1:1 in the middle gear, so both your 1st & 2nd gears are using the lowest 3-speed setting, which is very noticable until well run in, after which it is just heard! If you ever hear a Rohloff in bottom gear, you will know what really noisy is!

Top Bottom