Gear ratios

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Maybe "gear inches" is how folk used to describe their gearing but I've never heard anyone mention it in the several years I've been cycling. Everyone references teeth on front ring/teeth on cassette (and then sucks air through teeth and says "oooh, you might struggle up Winnats pass with that")

Appreciate that different wheel sizes produce different gearing results but everyone uses same wheel size around here, standard road bike size. So we all use "teeth" to describe gearing and find it easy to do so

Maybe "gear inches" is how folk used to describe their gearing but I've never heard anyone mention it in the several years I've been cycling. Everyone references teeth on front ring/teeth on cassette (and then sucks air through teeth and says "oooh, you might struggle up Winnats pass with that")

Appreciate that different wheel sizes produce different gearing results but everyone uses same wheel size around here, standard road bike size. So we all use "teeth" to describe gearing and find it easy to do so
You need another bike, Nick. With a different wheel size and more spokes.

Gone are the days when bikes only had 27" wheels.
Nowadays the standard is anything from 26" to 28".
Plus I've 20" wheels all round on my bent trike, so non bike standard.

Chainring / Sprocket x Wheel x IHG covers everything.
So 38/21x18.8x0.279= 9.5" is my first gear and 54/21x18.8x1.467x2.5= 177" is my top gear.
Non standard gears as well ........ ^_^

Top Bottom