Gear selection and use

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

David Haworth

Too many variables for that (strava) that affect it.

wind direction, gradient, road quality etc.

Would those be relevant? There should be a hard relationship between speed, gear and cadence. If you're freewheeling then you could be in any gear, but if actively pedalling then for a certain speed and cadence then there's probably only one gear you could be in. Wind, gradient and surface merely make it easier or harder to maintain that speed.

My question would be more along the lines if weather the speed and cadence sensors update often enough for it to be practical...

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Won't some quickfire systems double shift?

Perhaps the rider the OP saw likes doing that, or was doing it without realising it.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Truth be told, I'm often not sure what gear I'm in and I don't know if I'm using the same ones all the time. I'd love more shifters to tell you what gear your in.

I can't help thinking though that if I could tell strava what wheel size, chain rings and cassette I'm using, then they could use my speed and cadence sensor to calculate what gear I'm in... That would be interesting... In a similar vein, I think di2 systems should have an ant+ transmitter (and profile) to transmit what gear your in for a cycle computer to record.

David
you should have an indicator on your shifters that shows you what gear you are in.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
Riding single speed 90% of the time has totally changed the way I use gears - instead of hunting around for the correct gear I tend to know because my legs tell me I'm in the wrong gear.

But yes, on the whole I only use the biggun up front, although I'm tring to get into the habit of switching to the littlun up front and going smaller on the back when hill climbing.

Gary E

Veteran
Truth be told, I'm often not sure what gear I'm in and I don't know if I'm using the same ones all the time. I'd love more shifters to tell you what gear your in.

I can't help thinking though that if I could tell strava what wheel size, chain rings and cassette I'm using, then they could use my speed and cadence sensor to calculate what gear I'm in... That would be interesting... In a similar vein, I think di2 systems should have an ant+ transmitter (and profile) to transmit what gear your in for a cycle computer to record.

David
If you use flight deck shifters did you know that you can pull back the rubber and fit a small wiring loom that then connects to the Shimano Flight Deck Computer and shows you what rings you're in? There are a few different types but here's one as an example.
I found out about them when I googled "Flight Deck" as I thought it was a bit of an odd desciption, it makes sense now though when you think of it as a full system rather than just the levers.
That said, I've never seen anyone using them :laugh:

Gary E

Veteran
Shimano 2300 and some of the older Sora and Tiagra shifters have the little indicator that's gives you some idea where your chain is -
1011079PART.jpg

Shift.jpg

Not sure about other systems though as I'm too poor to afford the expensive stuff :smile:

Lanzecki

Über Member
Just because someone has expensive kit and dressed like a demi god it does not mean that they know what they are doing. Just carry on enjoying the silence!

I on the other hand do. I'm also an insufferable prig who picks and chooses his cycling friends by the bike they ride. Ohh, and buy the fact they are slower then me :smile:

Bonus points are awarded to skin suit wearers, and leg shavers.

Talking of other threads. Think I touched on 4 there :smile:

Sandra6

Veteran
I don't pretend to understand gears, ratios or anything else but over 3 miles I'd be unlikely to change gear at all, unless I hit a hill (up or down) or was really getting my speed up, in which case I'd go up a gear.
I can see which gear I'm in, if I lean forward, but I don't tend to look. If it's getting hard to pedal I go down a gear, if I'm spinning and bouncing in my saddle I go up.
When I meet a big hill I drop down to granny gears!
Other than that I'm always on the middle cog (is it the front??!!) and go through the middle three gears.
I don't think I'd tell if a cyclist in front of me was changing gears unless I could hear them.

triangles

Über Member
Can anyone point me in the direction of a good guide on the best ways to use gears? I understand the basic principle (eg don't cross the chain) but don't feel comfortable that I am making the most of my selection.

The peddler

Regular
Hi Triangles
Use your small front ring with the three large rings on the rear cassette good for inclines and hills Large front ring for small rings on the rear cassette steady pacing and downhills. Keeps your chain straight avoiding wear and tear

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I use Shimano 2300 but I never look at the indicators. Can't tell on them if I'm in 4th or 5th, not accurate enough

I run 50/34 and 11-28. I use 50 x 3rd-5th on the flat depending on wind, surface etc. 50 x 6th-8th only for downhills. 34 x 2nd-4th for hills depending on gradient. 34 x 1st reserved for 20%+ climbs. I try to avoid using it to give me a psychological boost of knowing I have another gear in the bank

David Haworth

Got to admit, at some point I might want to swap my sram sl700 shifters for flatbar doubletap shifters. One reason being that they clearly tell you exactly what gear you're in, no approximations but an actual number.

Top Bottom