Gear Set...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shadow master

Might be an idea to learn to pedal first.
I agree,very few riders if any can effectively turn the 11t/53t ratio,even with a 10 degree downhill,but by going changing to an 11/30t cassette on the back and clicking up a gear or two on the back,you've got a more suitable bike and you keep your ego massaged!

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
No shame in swapping to a compact which would be an option.

Im racing on 50/34 in my avatar, dishing out some hurt :angel:

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Is this the Giant Propel with the flat mountain bike pedals? I'd suggest getting a triple with a 34T rear.

bpsmith

Veteran
Jesus, what do people need an 11t sprocket for if they have a 53t front ring? A totally useless ornament unless you race to a good standard (Or like to boast about your max downhill speed).

For a non racing guy a 13 is easily enough.
I don't see any 13-30 cassettes listed by Shimano in current models? Nor 13-28 either.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
If it's the OP's most recent bike I believe it is equipped with Dura Ace 9000 11 speed, and if he wishes to stick with Shimano's recommendations the maximum rear sprocket size is 28 teeth. So a 50/34 compact, and 11-28 cassette would give the lowest gear with Dura Ace 9000. Of course he could move down range to Ultegra 7800, and fit a 50/34 compact and 11-32 cassette, with a new 6800 GS rear mech.
Of course, it might be that the bike isn't really the right bike for the OP at this stage, and he should be looking for one more suitable for his current level of fitness and range of cycling activities.

OP
OP
swiftylee

swiftylee

just checked my rear mech highest is 28 so 11/28

may change front to 52/36 as that is what is fitted to new propel.

huwsparky

Über Member
If you already have a 28t and your struggling I'd fit a compact chainset.

Top Bottom