Gear sets

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hutch118

Am I correct in thinking that most stock racing bikes will come with similar ratios of gear, by that I mean an 18 gear bike will be the same from make to make whether it be Giant, Trek etc. front two big hears having the same teeth and rear cartridge the same from bike to bike.

I realise that folk can change the gear sets around depending on what sort of bike you want for your purpose but initially are they much the same as standard.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
It'll be published but it'll probably be whatever that maker can get cheapest from shimano or whoever. The big split lately seems to be on the front between standard doubles, compact doubles or touring triples. The back seems to be 10/11/12-30ish.

Last edited:

Turbo Rider

Just can't reMember
Depends on the frame in the price range too. If you go for a Giant Defy 5 and look at a similar spec bike for the same price, for example, the other bike will probably have a more thorough group set, because Giant sell their frame for a higher figure...so they give you Claris pieces, but mix it in with SRAM, FSA and Tektra here and there. Another frame from someone else might have Claris throughout...and maybe better tyres too.

OP
OP
Hutch118

Hutch118

Not too sure
Depends on the frame in the price range too. If you go for a Giant Defy 5 and look at a similar spec bike for the same price, for example, the other bike will probably have a more thorough group set, because Giant sell their frame for a higher figure...so they give you Claris pieces, but mix it in with SRAM, FSA and Tektra here and there. Another frame from someone else might have Claris throughout...and maybe better tyres too.

Not too sure what your meaning by Claris and all the other stuff, can you elaborate on that for me?

Turbo Rider

Just can't reMember
Not too sure

Not too sure what your meaning by Claris and all the other stuff, can you elaborate on that for me?

Oh...well...yes Giant are very proud of their frame and are also a big brand name, so they get to put a premium on it. The Defy 5 retails at £499 and comes with a Claris group set...but only as far as the derailleurs, shifters and break levers go...the other parts (crank, cassette and breaks are made by other companies and though they work perfectly well, they are a best fit rather than an exact match) the tyres are usually moaned about by people as they wear out rather quickly...probably get you around 1500 miles out of them...the frame though, is very nice to ride on...doesn't vibrate much for aluminium and is also light and stiff...

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bikes/model/defy.5/19187/77298/#specifications

Other bikes in the same price range may have entirely different set ups when it comes to everything...Wiggles bike in the same price range (Felt) comes with Tiagra almost throughout and some nice Vittoria tyres, plus the frame ha warranty for 3 years. Tiagra is rated as a superior system to Claris, which probably feels quite clunky in comparrison. I have a Defy 5 though and am more than happy with it...so, it's all about what you want from your bike really...comfort versus transmission, or so it seems.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/felt-f85-tiagra-2014/

outlash

also available in orange
doesn't vibrate much for aluminium

If your frame is vibrating whatever the material is, I'd be concerned.
Also, some manufacturers aren't able to be supplied with a full group set. For example Cannondales normally have a BB30 bottom bracket, Shimano don't make them in that size so Cannondale fit other makes.

To the OP, yes they're much of a muchness. Any variations tend to come with the cassette and even then, it's only a tooth or two.

Turbo Rider

Just can't reMember
If your frame is vibrating whatever the material is, I'd be concerned.
Also, some manufacturers aren't able to be supplied with a full group set. For example Cannondales normally have a BB30 bottom bracket, Shimano don't make them in that size so Cannondale fit other makes.

To the OP, yes they're much of a muchness. Any variations tend to come with the cassette and even then, it's only a tooth or two.

I know and I wouldn't buy one I wasn't happy with but I do read reviews where an aluminium frame is slated for exactly that, so they are out there...

Top Bottom