Gear swop over

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tony78

Am looking at taking chainset off my mountain bike and putting it onto my hybrid as the gear ratio is better for speed..
Just wondering if it will be ok, will rear derailer be ok? Am looking at using the original chain that's bedded into cogs.. don't want to put new chain on used cogs??
Ty in advance👍👍

Sharky

Guru
Are both square taper?
How many teeth on the chain rings?
If putting on a larger chain ring, the chain may be too short, but I would try it first. You may have to adjust the front mech up or down if the chain rings are different in size by a significant amount.

Are they both 110BCD chain rings?
Might be easier just to swap the chain rings and leave the cranks on their original bikes?

Good luck

OP
OP
Tony78

Tony78

Are both square taper?
How many teeth on the chain rings?
If putting on a larger chain ring, the chain may be too short, but I would try it first. You may have to adjust the front mech up or down if the chain rings are different in size by a significant amount.

Are they both 110BCD chain rings?
Might be easier just to swap the chain rings and leave the cranks on their original bikes?

Good luck
Want to take off 42/34/24 front and rear cog has 14 small up to 28.
Want to replace with 48/38/28 front and rear 12 small up to 32 ???
Don't want to break into chain to just try.
I think the front crank will have clearance on frame, but struggling to work out if it will work without actually doing the swap.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
If square taper, you may (most likely) have issues with axel length also, never mind BB width, as road is 68mm, MTB 73mm.

Axel length can vary with chainset

boydj

Legendary Member
Axle length should be ok, since they are both triples, unless the chainstay clearance is a problem. Chain will probably be too short, given the larger chainrings and cogs.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I'm a technically challenged type but I always thought chainsets tend towards being MTB specific, or road / hybrid specific so I'm reading with interest on whether this can be done. Great question!

OP
OP
Tony78

Tony78

I'm a technically challenged type but I always thought chainsets tend towards being MTB specific, or road / hybrid specific so I'm reading with interest on whether this can be done. Great question!
I don't know whether to just put it on and see how it goes up and down the gears?
Don't want to break two bikes down to find out it will not work🤔🙄 decisions???🙈

Sharky

Guru
Why not explore just changing the cassette. A 42x11 would give a 100inch gear that most people would struggle to do justice to.

Look at and try and understand the gear tables. Bikecalc for instance.

Nigelnightmare

Über Member
With that combination you WILL need to lengthen the chain by 5 complete links (5 inner & 5 outer) as you are adding 10 teeth (42-48=6)(28-32=4).

HTH

Ajax Bay

Guru
Worth measuring the two chainstay lengths eg from BB centre to rear axle centre. If different it'll affect chain length (x2).

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tony78

Tony78

Yes both 7 speed on cassette, but having looked closer, I think they are differently seated, so will not be able to try my experiment out anyway😢
That's all... might just try changing front crank and hope that gives me extra speed👍👍 hope I don't get chain slip

Ajax Bay

Guru
might just try changing front crank and hope that gives me extra speed👍👍 hope I don't get chain slip
If your chain is the right length for the 42-32-22 chainset, it will probably be too short if you fit a 48-38-28. So at least check that carefully before riding. It's easy to say 'I'll take care not to try to change into large/large' but sooner or later . . . .
No reason why you should get chain slip: you're continuing to use the same chain and same cassette/freewheel (14-28).

Top Bottom