Geared riding communities

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Aaronjoy

Regular
Hi everyone,

How do the regular geared riders who go out on club rides etc view single speed riders?

And when I say single speed riders I don't mean the hipster kind who wear bright colours, a snap back and a messenger bag, I'm talking about someone who is into their fitness, cycling and wears proper cycling gear such as a helmet.

I'm just not sure how ss riders are viewed by the cycling community.

MiK1138

Veteran
Single speed i can live with (tempted to buy one myself) its Fixies i cant get my head round

S-Express

Hi everyone,

How do the regular geared riders who go out on club rides etc view single speed riders?

And when I say single speed riders I don't mean the hipster kind who wear bright colours, a snap back and a messenger bag, I'm talking about someone who is into their fitness, cycling and wears proper cycling gear such as a helmet.

Not really sure what you mean. If they are on a bike, they are cycling, so I view them as cyclists like anyone else on a bike. I wouldn't imagine that's a unique view.

My car has a six-speed gearbox, but I don't view cars with 5 or 4 speeds any differently when I'm driving.

Reactions: mjr

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Hi everyone,

To me like @S-Express says they are cyclists like anybody else on a bike

You dont have to follow the " Club" in crowd ie latest bike and clothing etc etc you are allowed to think for yourself and ride whatever you enjoy the most

Sharky

Guru
You can get a huge mixed range of comments from riders who haven't experienced SS or Fixed, ranging from "You must be mad" to "that was a good ride with only one gear" or " I bet you were under geared coming back from the turn tonight".

Once you try a fixed, you realise the pro's and cons, but in practice on a 10 mile TT, times are no more than about 20 secs different and after many years riding both, still can't make my mind up which is quickest.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I don't think much about it really. If pressed to give an opinion I suppose I think they are slightly bonkers, and probably a lot fitter than me. (If they're not fitter than me, and they're riding fixed/SS then they must be properly bonkers)

I don't go on club runs tho and I do own some pretty brightly coloured kit, so maybe it's not my opinion you want ;)

Last edited:

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
I ride fixed on the club run, but maybe I'm not a 'proper' cyclist as I don't wear a helmet.

Same here, I get more comments about not wearing a helmet than I do riding fixed

D

Deleted member 1258

I ride both geared and fixed wheel bikes, gears in summer and fixed in winter.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I ride my fixed on group rides, sometimes I move a little out of the group as I fly up the short, sharp hills and sometimes I play catchup after the really nasty hills. Most of the time it is no different to riding my geared bikes. I get quite a few comments and people thinking I am superman, little do they know that riding fixed is not something too difficult or amazing.

GGJ

Veteran
Usually get the "You're on a single speed?"
"You know we're going over The Crow"? (Crow Road at Lennoxtown, a well known local climb)
"Yer aff yer heid"
"We'll send the broom wagon for you"
How the f*** will you get up there?"

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Usually get the "You're on a single speed?"
"You know we're going over The Crow"? (Crow Road at Lennoxtown, a well known local climb)
"Yer aff yer heid"
"We'll send the broom wagon for you"
How the f*** will you get up there?"
But you do get up there, don't you?
I've never tried, but I bet I couldn't make it even with my dinner plate low gears :laugh:

Top Bottom