Geared riding communities

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GGJ

Veteran
But you do get up there, don't you?
I've never tried, but I bet I couldn't make it even with my dinner plate low gears :laugh:

Haha, yes I do, last time I went up the Crow Road on the single speed I passed a young fellow on a mountain style bike, he was spinning his legs twenty to the dozen going nowhere. As I passed he shouted "Geez a tow Jimmy" and I replied "I've only got one gear, doubt I could manage to tow you" I stopped at the carpark for a drink and something to eat and when he arrived some 10 minutes later he was in total disbelief that an old geeezer like me managed to get up 'The Crow' not only on a single speed but past him with his 30 gears.

3narf

For whom the bell dings
I only ever ride alone; this isn't ideological, I genuinely have no friends!

Stinboy

Über Member
Same here - I think it's because I dont really like people :smile:

Upon reflection though it's probably because they don't like me either :sad:

Anyway I gave you a like so I'll be your friend :hugs:

zigzag

Veteran
i join the club rides on my single speed sometimes, to have a better workout. however the club has a strict policy against fixies and bikes with tri-bars as they disrupt the rhythm and can cause danger to others. i would say half of my all riding (around 20,000km/year) are done on ss bikes.

Broadside

Guru
I won't take my fixed gear out on rides with mates anymore; I was leaving them behind on climbs and they dropped me on descents and flats so I found it really incompatible. If I'm riding with others then I take my geared bike now, if I'm on my own I tend to take the fixed gear bike.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Does anybody go out on a local club ride ss or fixed?/QUOTE]

I was thinking of taking my new fixie out on the club ride this weekend - haven't ridden it more than a few miles at a time yet so it will be a good opportunity for a proper test ride. Will report back on the reaction of my clubmates.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
"You know we're going over The Crow"? (Crow Road at Lennoxtown, a well known local climb)

Well jel. I did the Crow Road on my LEJOG back in September and absolutely bloody loved it. Glorious climb at 6am with the sun barely up and mist hanging in the valley. Apart from the steep bit in the middle at the bend, I imagine would be ideal for fixed - nice steady gradient, you can probably get a good rhythm going.

Top Bottom