Gearing down The Black Kite...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pikey

Waiting for the turbo to kick in...
So, I've tried to follow the instructions on the Trike Hobo blog etc... re. putting a smaller granny ring on my Cat 700, as I quite like going down some of the big old hills round here:hyper:, which necessitates climbing up the other side and the stock granny is a bit tall for this (think Westbury White Horse at 40rpm cadence). I was getting concerned for my knees if I did it a lot.

But I couldn't find a way of stopping the chain grinding on the middle ring or sucking up once it hit one of the upshift pins without altering the chainline radically, I think due to the size disparity between the new granny and mid ring. :angry:

Today, although probably sacrilegious to the purists out there, I ordered and plopped in a Deore HT2 MTB crankset with the required low gearing. Sure Ive sacrificed some top end speed, but I should still be able to tickle 32mph on the flat with it, and tbh I can count the times Ive done that on a hand with no fingers...

Seems to have fitted fine using the spacers with the supplied BB, although it also fitted into the stock mega exo jobby. Chain runs fine, shifts well, just need to lower the front mech to accommodate the smaller big ring.

Just thought I would share this in case anyone else wants to climb up Cheddar Gorge on their Catrike.

Lushness, cant wait for the weather to warm up, the salt to get off the roads and let the Cat out again for an outdoor ride :wub:

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I've just taken delivery of a Shimano Acera with 48/38/28 rings to replace the stock 52/40/30 that came on my Performer. It uses the same 123mm square taper bottom bracket. I think the gearing supplied with many bikes - let alone trikes - is ridiculously high in these days when an 11t sprocket is more or less standard. The only time I could use 52*11 is by falling over the edge of a cliff.

I would have gone even lower, the other option was 42/32/22 but my front mech won't drop low enough without either touching or running drastically close to the boom.

OP
OP
Pikey

Pikey

I've just taken delivery of a Shimano Acera with 48/38/28 rings to replace the stock 52/40/30 that came on my Performer. It uses the same 123mm square taper bottom bracket. I think the gearing supplied with many bikes - let alone trikes - is ridiculously high in these days when an 11t sprocket is more or less standard. The only time I could use 52*11 is by falling over the edge of a cliff.

I would have gone even lower, the other option was 42/32/22 but my front mech won't drop low enough without either touching or running drastically close to the boom.

Yeah, amen to that. I don't think I have ever really needed the big ring small cog combo on any of my stable, apart from on the trike when she is on the rollers as they are non resistive and its probably the only way I'll get a decent workout.

I've just been to check the boom / front mech clearance that you mentioned, I didn't fully consider that. It looks like it might just fit, there were no issues getting down to the small ring anyway using the mech in its present position. I went for a 24t lowest in the end. My thinking was it would be better to have too many gears than to run out midway up a beast of a hill. I remembered climbing Blagdon Hill on last year's mendip transmitter and that was a grind on my Synapse with a compact, think I might need a winch if I were to do it on the Cat's standard gearing. :laugh:

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
The problem on mine would not be the small ring, but dropping the mech down so it ran reasonably close to the large ring. I might possibly squeeze on a 46t but the 48 will do and I will have more useable small and middle gears.

OP
OP
Pikey

Pikey

EEEEEK! Mines a 42 top ring, lets hope it all fits!
I'll prob end up getting a slightly bigger top ring when this one wears out anyway...

OP
OP
Pikey

Pikey

Just went and checked and dropped the front mech down, even though I still have the stock crankset on, and it fits :heat:

That was a tense few minutes :laugh: thanks for that heads up though @Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
42x11 gives a top gear of 100.5 inches, only six inches lower than you'd get with 52x13 which was the racing standard for years when we only had five sprockets on the wheel. For a non racing machine where the rider isn't bothered about breaking any downhill records it is more than enough, especially on a trike.

As I've said before, most bikes sold now are ridiculously over geared.

Always Cross

Veteran
Hi Pikey I'm the other one in your village I have a 22 tooth inner chain ring chain set can't remember what size the other ones rings if you want to try it on your trike just let me know. At least you wouldn't have to travel far for it. It came off an ICE trike.

OP
OP
Pikey

Pikey

Hi Pikey I'm the other one in your village I have a 22 tooth inner chain ring chain set can't remember what size the other ones rings if you want to try it on your trike just let me know. At least you wouldn't have to travel far for it. It came off an ICE trike.

Cheers for the offer @Always Cross , I might take you up on it depending upon how the deore chainset goes. I'm still running the stock Catrike one until midweek to give me taller gears as the kite is still on the rollers at the moment.

Which village are you in? Are you the triker that I have seen a couple of times in the morning riding down towards the A350?

If so, I might have to apologise as I was the one in the green 4x4 that passed you back a month or so before xmas. In my excitement at seeing another trike pilot, I wound the window down and hollered 'Love your trike, Ive got one too' or something similar, then pulled in just up the road to chat to you.
On reflection I probably just looked like another road rage to$$er as you probably wouldn't have heard what I was saying and I don't blame you for not chatting to randoms in 4x4's in laybys. :blush::blush::laugh:

OP
OP
Pikey

Pikey

42T? You could have got a 48/36/26 HT2 Deore. This is what my Thorn Audax came with:
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-deore-m590-9-speed-triple-chainset/rp-prod40496

EDIT: I was forgetting, you need 10 speed though.

I did toy with swapping the whole trike over to 9 speed as I have my under used MTB with a shimano 9spd set up in the garage, I would have just needed to find a 9spd bar end shifter and that would have sorted it.

I may still transfer the hydraulic disc brakes over to the trike from it though, if they are compatible.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Seems like a lot of us want a smaller granny gear, maybe trike manufacturers will notice one day.
The 28t I now have on mine seems ok as I am not a twiddler, though I have yet to tackle anything serious. What I found ridiculous was the 52x11 top the Performer came with. You'd need to be a decent level racer to make proper use of that and I would think anyone who buys a recumbent trike has those days long behind them.

Top Bottom