Gears 1-3 Automatically Shift to Hear 4 When The Pedals Move?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jonothon5

I bought a brand new tricycle earlier this week, built and set it up, but for some reason the shifter will not change gears.

When the Chan is placed on the largest cog, it immediately shifts down to hear 3 or 4. This happens as soon as the pedals begin to rotate and the gear shifter on the handle bar doesn't shift the cogs from smallest to largest.

There is nothing wrong in terms of kinks in the gear tube and the housing is fine, although when the shifter is pulled from 6-1, number 2-1 feels very stuff to move.

I've tried to align the cogs too, but without much success.

What can I do to remedy this? I went to a bike shop but they refused to look at the trike as it was bought online and if they were to look at it, they'd charge ridicoulus money just because the trike was bought online. The manufacturer will not help either, as they suggest to seek a professional.

If anyone knows how to help this, or have links to videos that could help, it would be much appreciated ✌️

Thanks for any practical advice.

wisdom

Guru
Cable tension would be a good starting point.Also is the cable run correct?
Any chance of some pictures they could help.

OP
OP
J

Jonothon5

Are these pictures any good? I can try to get a better angle tomorrow when it's daylight.

Attachments

• IMG_20190820_201447.jpg
    IMG_20190820_201447.jpg
    220.2 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20190820_201608.jpg
    IMG_20190820_201608.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20190820_201509.jpg
    IMG_20190820_201509.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20190820_201518.jpg
    IMG_20190820_201518.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 9

Cycleops

Legendary Member
A few more details might be useful. A pic would be good. What gear system does it use? I'm guessing derailleur. Shifter type?
Sounds like the derailleur hi-lo settings are not set correctly.
If the gears are not adjusted there may be other issues with the bike such as the brakes which could make it dangerous to operate. Unless you are competent in mechanical skills you could have a bit of a struggle on your hands. YouTube will be useful for tutorials. Unfortunately buying something like this on line can be fraught with difficulties particularly if the seller won't support you.

OP
OP
J

Jonothon5

This is the last clear(ish) photo I have tonight. As far as I know the derailleur is in line with the 6th cog and the gear lead needed to be secured by the bolt seen in this picture.

Attachments

• IMG_20190820_201514.jpg
    IMG_20190820_201514.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 8

raleighnut

Legendary Member
The 'Gear Hanger' (where the mech bolts on) is bent/misaligned, not such a problem as with a 2 wheeler (it's not gonna end up in the spokes) but the problem you're having is more down to cable tension on the shifter. To fix it what you need to do is select 6th gear on the lever and ride until the trike is in 6th on the freewheel unit (the little un) then undo the gear cable clamp nut on the mech and take all the 'slack' out of the cable, that should sort out the 'shifting'.

My Trike is a bit different in that it has a secondary 'Dolly' chain that drives the axle,

DSCN0050.JPG

OP
OP
J

Jonothon5

I'm struggling to close the gap between the gear cluster and the bike frame as it says in the video...

My gap is very large and needs to be closed but I don't know to close it. I've tried unscrewing the top screw above the H and L screws but nothing happens.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
That gap requiment might be specific to that trike so don't worry about that as long as they run clear of the frame.
Which top screw above the hi-lo screws?

Top Bottom