Gears on road bike brake levers. What a great idea.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GuyBoden

Guru
A few weeks back, after many years off a bike, I got a used road bike with the gear shifter integrated with the brake lever, what a fantastic innovation/design. Much easier than the old method of having to reach down to the levers on the frame.

So, I'm only 25 years too late:
"In 1990, Shimano introduced their STI shifting levers for road bicycles, which completely integrated the brake lever and shifter. STI ("Shimano Total Integration") – The marketing terminology for the integration of shifting into the brake levers for road bikes, enabling the rider to shift without taking the hands off the brake levers."

xxDarkRiderxx

Veteran
@GuyBoden , It came as a shock to me also when I purchased my first road bike around 2005 after a long absence. I asked the guy in Evans "where is the gear lever". He just burst into laughter but showed me the new STI system. I sometimes miss the old trimming of the gears while changing for about a nanosecond.

A couple of decades from now I might be able to afford these.

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/...mano-dura-ace-9070-electronic-group-13-47077/

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
@GuyBoden , It came as a shock to me also when I purchased my first road bike around 2005 after a long absence. I asked the guy in Evans "where is the gear lever". He just burst into laughter but showed me the new STI system. I sometimes miss the old trimming of the gears while changing for about a nanosecond.

A couple of decades from now I might be able to afford these.

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/...mano-dura-ace-9070-electronic-group-13-47077/
http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest-news/sram-wireless-what-to-expect-167975

OP
OP
GuyBoden

GuyBoden

Guru
Nah, it's a silly fad and will never catch on. I've still got friction levers on one bike and converted another to them. What fools want to match their brake levers to their rear cluster? ;)

I had friction shifters on my old 1980's road bike, eventually, I got very good at guessing the gear by feel and ear.

It sounds expensive if things should wear out.

Yes, I agree, STI's are very expensive. ^_^

Last edited by a moderator:

tyred

Legendary Member
I genuinely did consider going down this road when I refurbished my Viscount into touring spec with modern hubs....but then I checked the prices:ohmy:

Sun Tour DT friction shifters still in place and still working perfectly after 30+ years. They're cheap good enough for me:okay:

I also find DT shifters work as a good obesity guide - if you struggle to reach them, you need to go on a diet again to lose the belly..

RichardB

Slightly retro
I'm a first-timer with these too (first drop-bar bike in 20+ years). I agree they are a great idea for racing, although I am taking a while to get used to them. The shift part seems to take much more movement (and clunks more) than I am used to with down tube levers, and I feel less confident with the brakes because the levers have sideways movement. I like to be independent when I am away from home, and they don't look remotely field-repairable. I miss the lovely feel of a friction shifter, although I don't miss reaching down to the down tube. To be honest, the thumb shifters on my cheap MTB (Shimano 100GS) work consistently well and are easy to use, and I like them better as a mechanism. I'm sure the STI will be fine when I get used to them, but for touring/commuting/utility riding, I can't help thinking that they are a bit OTT. Sometimes, simpler is better.

As for electronics and software - no way.

montroseloon

I had a squeaky bum moment when I broke a shifter on my bike. Enquired about the price for a set of 105 shifters and was quoted £180 direct from Shimano, managed to get them for a £100 from Chain Reaction thankfully. So replacing or upgrading isn't a cheap thing to do

Top Bottom