Gears?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sara_H

Guru
But they also do not have the light thingies :-/ I am peering and I like a lot of the other models here & there but I cannot find one that has all the stuff the Dutchies do, the lights, skirt guards, etc especially the lock I love the lock, it is probably rubbish for security but I don't care I still like that too.

It sounds like you've set your heart on a Dutchie!

wakou

Über Member
Ah like our squirrel then, who gets fat on my peanuts. We have a running battle. He/she (how do you tell from a distance) sneaks in and prises the wire apart on the feeder and every time I see him I chase him away brandishing a bamboo cane. Don't care what the neighbours think. Sometimes I'm in Lycra, sometimes my dressing gown, yelling 'Ill get you you 'orrible grey rat' or similar. Must look even more ridiculous as I can't run. A left over from an old spinal injury. I sort of lurch like Quasimodo.

Sorry that's nothing to do with cycling :-)
OT but... Squirrels HATE chillies. Birds OTOH, don't mind them at all. Smear some red hot chilli paste on the bird feeder, Mr Squirrel will eat at another restaurant.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
@Pat "5mph" I was wondering about the bike in your profile pic, is it new?
Yes @Sara_H it is indeed my almost new paper bike
Almost new because it was a display model from my local Bike Station never been on road but used for cycling shows and so on, a bit bashed, greatly reduced from new. I wanted that bike, in red, since I saw it at Glasgow's bike show 2 years ago. There I got to meet the young man manufacturing the bike, it's made not far from Glasgow, N+1 helping the local economy, that's my excuse anyway :laugh:
My model is a single speed, the Bike Station's mechanic said he could add hub gear for £ 100, I decided to wait, seems I'm coping fine without as long as I avoid very steep hills.
Certainly, the dutch style bikes attract looks from the Lycra clad brigade ^_^

But they also do not have the light thingies :-/ I am peering and I like a lot of the other models here & there but I cannot find one that has all the stuff the Dutchies do, the lights, skirt guards, etc especially the lock I love the lock, it is probably rubbish for security but I don't care I still like that too.
@Puddles I'm not sure the dinamo lights will suffice in winter.
Haven't had a chance to check out how powerful they are because you need to be in motion for them to switch on, I have not been riding after dark since I've got Mrs Doubtfire (that's her name :biggrin:)

Sara_H

Guru
Yes @Sara_H it is indeed my almost new paper bike
Almost new because it was a display model from my local Bike Station never been on road but used for cycling shows and so on, a bit bashed, greatly reduced from new. I wanted that bike, in red, since I saw it at Glasgow's bike show 2 years ago. There I got to meet the young man manufacturing the bike, it's made not far from Glasgow, N+1 helping the local economy, that's my excuse anyway :laugh:
My model is a single speed, the Bike Station's mechanic said he could add hub gear for £ 100, I decided to wait, seems I'm coping fine without as long as I avoid very steep hills.
Certainly, the dutch style bikes attract looks from the Lycra clad brigade ^_^

Many congratulations! Tis a beautiful machine!

OP
OP
Puddles

Puddles

Do I need to get the spray plaster out?
@Puddles I'm not sure the dinamo lights will suffice in winter.
Haven't had a chance to check out how powerful they are because you need to be in motion for them to switch on, I have not been riding after dark since I've got Mrs Doubtfire (that's her name :biggrin:)

I don't do much after dark, lights are more for dusk when in the winter after school club finishes 4.30-5.00 ish, they do say in their specs the rear safety light does stay on when you stop.

GrasB

Veteran
If the dynamo is 3w then you can go for a B+M IQ front light, they're very good & are more than bright enough for a normal cyclist in & out of the city. They start getting a little dim for proper illumination of dark back roads at around 35mph.

Sara_H

Guru
Thanks. I'll give it a try.
Me and Squidgey. Long time adversaries.

I've got a similar problem with bag fat pigeons hogging my bird feeders. I've just ordered some suirrel proof feeders in the hope that the pigeons will bugger off. They had a massive scrap with a magpie yesterday, it was like a bird riot!

OP
OP
Puddles

Puddles

Do I need to get the spray plaster out?
I've got a similar problem with bag fat pigeons hogging my bird feeders. I've just ordered some suirrel proof feeders in the hope that the pigeons will bugger off. They had a massive scrap with a magpie yesterday, it was like a bird riot!

You can get little bird feeders, they don't let the big birds feed from them.

We have big fat wood pigeons in our garden - the stupid dog is scared of them (& cats)

GrasB

Veteran
You can get little bird feeders, they don't let the big birds feed from them.

We have big fat wood pigeons in our garden - the stupid dog is scared of them (& cats)
Forget dogs, forget cats... what you want are proper rural foxes! Anything much bellow 6ft off the ground is in-range!

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
If the dynamo is 3w then you can go for a B+M IQ front light, they're very good & are more than bright enough for a normal cyclist in & out of the city. They start getting a little dim for proper illumination of dark back roads at around 35mph.
Wot? Am I supposed to go at more than 35mph to see in the dark winter evenings??
I'll rather switch on my cat eye :laugh:

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
He means that when you get to 35mph the light is not bright enough to see by. I have a 60lux cyo and I'd agree. From about 5mph you get a decent light, below that it gets a little stroby.

Top Bottom