Geeks falling from a bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PK99

Legendary Member
In the Ride pace thread we veered dramatically off topic with:

@ColinJ saying:

"2 of my most painful crashes were when my bike was stationary.

Fall #1 happened when I decided to do a u-turn on a narrow road that wasn't u-turnable! I turned my front wheel too much, stopped dead, and toppled over onto my right knee. The pain was so bad that I almost threw up!

Fall #2 was just a few days later when I was distracted by 2 attractive women in a convertible sports car next to me at an uphill to a t-junction. I wasn't paying attention to clipping in when I tried to set off, my foot slipped off the pedal, and I toppled over onto my other knee. That was ALSO so painful that I nearly revisited my breakfast!

One thing you don't get in low speed crashes is masses of road rash all over your body but the vertical impact is the same no matter what speed you were going at.

There is a school of thought that suggests that you get less of a wallop when falling at speed, but I can't quite see how that would be."

#####

I replied: To the bolded point:

Straightforward physics.

Force = rate of change of momentum

Vertical stationary fall = momentum absorbed virtually instantly

Fall at speed = glancing impact + skid/bounce/roll = longer for momentum to be absorbed

######

to which @Ajax Bay replied:

Now resolve the momentum into vertical and horizontal components. How does the loss of the vertical element of momentum differ in the two scenarios (vertical drop and trajectory drop (from same height)? If the thrown item 'bounces' isn't the momentum change even greater?

#####

I replied:

thinking out loud....

We are a long way from the idealised elastic and inelastic collisions of mechanics problems...

In a vertical fall, the body stops almost instantly and all the kinetic energy is transferred to the body as crush and deformity
in the oblique fall the impact takes longer and the kinetic energy reappears as crush and deformity and in linear motion and rotational motion.

try slapping the desk infront of you now. vertically down and then at an oblique angle - does which hurts more?

#####

@ColinJ came back with:

In order for you to go from falling down to bouncing up then you must have momentarily gone through (vertically) stationary!

The skidding and rolling is definitely scrubbing off the horizontal momentum

#################################################################################
My suggestion now ia:

In the earlier posts we were thinking too much in terms of the idealised model of elastic collisions with strict conservation of energy and conservation of momentum, when in fact we are dealing with a deformable body of indeterminate shape and an inelastic impact on a rigid surface.

To simplify the thinking, let’s take a rough ball of soft plasticine or playdough.

Scenario 1.

Drop it vertically, it falls under gravity and the PE at the top is transformed to KE at the bottom, and it has vertical momentum.

It lands on a hard immovable surface.

It does not bounce.

KE and Momentum are not conserved through the collision with the ground as internal forces come into play as the body deforms

All of the kinetic energy at impact is transformed into deformation energy and the rough ball becomes a flatter lump. All momentum is lost through the action of the forces internal and reaction

Scenario 2

Fire the same ball horizontally.

Ball traces arc and strikes ground at an angle, it has the initial KE plus more KE from the fall under gravity.

It hits the surface and does not bounce significantly, instead it rolls, and slides along the ground leaving a smear of plasticine from the impact point, changing shape through the process

The KE at impact is then transformed into the sum of (deformation energy + rotational kinetic energy* + linear kinetic energy* + friction losses)

(* loose terminology for simplicity)

###########################################################################

Now, in scenario 2, the internal forces allow the vertical momentum to reappear as horizontal and rotational motion as that is easier than internal deformation and @ColinJ ‘s wallop is less even though the total energy involved is higher.

#########################################################################

QED?

Tin hat in place!

Attachments

• Fall at angle.pdf
    570.9 KB · Views: 11
  • vertical fall.pdf
    513 KB · Views: 20

FishFright

More wheels than sense
You left the Tw coefficient; As V tends towards 0 the coefficient of feeling a Twat increases exponentially.

And as Pain = Physical damage raised to the power of feeling a twat this is will always lead to an off at very low speeds will always hurt like hell.

I'm to long out of education to convert that LOB * into a proper mathematical formula

*Load of Bol****s

Shaun

Founder
The worst bruising I ever got was falling from a virtually stationary bike; I'd called back some tail-enders on a FNRttC who'd headed off up the wrong road, and as they turned and headed back towards me, I started a slow left turn to bring me around to join them as they passed. My right shoe ever so slightly overlaps the front wheel on my Roubaix, and as I tried to straighten back up it got locked in an overturning position that I couldn't recover from and after a brief wobble, smack, down I went.

I didn't have time to "do the math" on the way down though ... so can't help with the sums, sorry. ^_^

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
It is quite common for cycling problems to use Lagrangians. Given the background degrees of two people discussing it I wouldn't have thought this would be difficult.

As for the falling it is probably useful formulating that in Langrangian mechanics too and thinking about the degrees of freedom.

OP
OP
P

PK99

Legendary Member
Roughly translated, it means ... "Whatever speed you are riding at, try not to fall off because it will hurt!" :laugh:

Not really, a better translation would be, if you must fall off it's best to be moving.

An alternative perspective:

Which would you prefer in a car:

Driving head on into a wall at 20mph
or
Hitting a wall at an oblique angle at 40mph?

The essential mechanics are the same: a deformable structure hitting a rigid surface

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Not really, a better translation would be, if you must fall off it's best to be moving.

An alternative perspective:

Which would you prefer in a car:

Driving head on into a wall at 20mph
or
Hitting a wall at an oblique angle at 40mph?

The essential mechanics are the same: a deformable structure hitting a rigid surface
The sudden head movement or impact is probably going to do nasty things to your neck and your brain in either case so it isn't a great choice ... A bit like choosing between being eaten alive by a lion or by a pack of wolves!

I really can't see the protective effect of horizontal movement.

Imagine a frozen lake with the ice thickness being such that it will just crack if a stationary cyclist toppled over onto it. Would that ice remain intact if the cyclist fell off doing 20 mph across the lake?

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Well as part of my level two powerboat training years back, I had to jump of the back of a moving RIB. Because it was moving, I didn't actually go into the water but skipped off the surface before going in and yes it flippin stung!

I'm not really sure how that moves the conversation along or even proved anything, but I thought I'd tell it nonetheless.

OP
OP
P

PK99

Legendary Member
Well as part of my level two powerboat training years back, I had to jump of the back of a moving RIB. Because it was moving, I didn't actually go into the water but skipped off the surface before going in and yes it flippin stung!

I'm not really sure how that moves the conversation along or even proved anything, but I thought I'd tell it nonetheless.

Actually it does, as imagine you had hit the water vertically at the same speed!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I saw some amazing breakdancing a few weeks ago and one of the moves involved the dancer going vertically up and practically faceplanting on landing, but he did it in such a way that it didn't hurt.

I think it is all in the landing.

Top Bottom