Gel padded bib shorts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

skizxi

Regular
I have my first 2 cycling events this year. 100 miles. Any recommendations for XL bib shorts. Don't really want to spend more than £50. Thanks

vickster

Legendary Member
Don't buy gel ones and look at DHB from Wiggle given the budget (or see what Evans/Sigma have in their clearance from the higher manufacturers). Advantage of these manufacturers is free returns if they don't fit as expected, although bib shorts are designed to fit in riding position not standing up admiring your mankini-clad self in the mirror :biggrin:

Make sure the bike is set up right and the saddle is properly positioned :smile:

J1888

Über Member
I've got a couple of pairs of Alturas which are good.

Not sure if they do shorts, but I got some Racedevils padded bibtights for the princely sum of £24 thanks to the 20% cyclechat discount...cracking value.

thatname

A decent saddle is as essential if we are thinking about protecting the derrière. Most bikes sold off the shelf won't necessarily have the right saddle for your butt.

OP
OP
S

skizxi

Regular
Thanks guys. I've looked at DHB and the range is massive. Can anyone recommend a certain pair.

vickster

Legendary Member
Aren't they furry thermal though being Roubaix? I'm going to assume the OP's sportives are in the summer?

LimeBurn

Über Member
I too ride in DHB vaeons and have to say I'm quite happy, but I also wear some Borghini ones from racescene in barnsley which do have a gel insert and have to say they're super comfy so its horses for courses really some will suit you some wont - I've never heard anyone say they dont get on with DHBs though.

vickster

Legendary Member
I don't have any DHB clothing, because the women's are too small for me :sad: I buy my cycling kit all over the place, I try to get better brands like Gore and Sportful in the clearance

Soltydog

Legendary Member
The mens DHB stuff is normally good for sizes, I'm taller & bigger than the average cyclist :blush: but nearly always the DHB stuff is spot of for sizing, except one top i ordered in XXL that was more like an actual M :angry: Gore do some very nice looking stuff, but according to their sizing charts the men's stuff would be too small for me :sad:

vickster

Legendary Member
I do have to go for XXL ladies in Gore and Sportful, but a DHB 'race fit' 16 ain't ever going to fit me (well it might do if I was any good at losing weight :sad: ) As a large UK retailer, it would be good if Wiggle produced even some of their ladies range in larger sizes as Gore, Sportful, Altura, Endura. They do sell the other brands in those sizes, so shouldn't grumble really

Top Bottom