Gel saddles?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by hoppym27, 30 Sep 2017.

1. hoppym27

hoppym27 Well-Known Member

Are they any good for long rides?

2. Yellow Saddle

Yellow Saddle Veteran

No

3. lazyfatgit

lazyfatgit Veteran

Some like them. Some don't.

I tried one and hated it. You might find it great.

Try one and see.

Dogtrousers likes this.
  4. welsh dragon

welsh dragon a permanent vacancy now exists

Hell no.:laugh: i had one and it was truly dreadful and very painful. Go the other way. I did, and i havn't looked back. You might be able to find an LBS that will let you try various saddles out before you buy.

Illaveago likes this.
  5. I often ride over 150 miles on a gel saddle. If you find one that works ( I find that having a saddle with a 'cut out' centre works well ) and is shaped to fit your sit bones, they are a god send. A lot of people who don't actually ride 'endurance' distances, may disagree. I do long distances, quite frequently, and find a decent gel saddle, indispensable. It's very much a case of 'horses for courses' though.

Illaveago, freiston and Dogtrousers like this.
  6. Yes. Possibly. Try it for yourself. Be very wary of any definitive advice you receive on the subject of saddles. Finding a saddle that suits is , in my experience, a process of trial and error. Much error.

I rode 400k on one earlier this year, and my neck, feet and wrists were in tatters by the end but my rear was fine. Selle SMP Trk.

Last edited: 30 Sep 2017
    freiston and Alan O like this.
  7. YukonBoy

YukonBoy Veteran

What distance do you mean by lomg?

8. mcshroom

mcshroom Bionic Subsonic

It depends on what gel saddle you are talking about but in general I've found the ones I've had switch from comfortable to torture around 60-70 miles. However with just a few seasons of audaxing and multi week tours under my belt I obviously don't ride 'endurance' distances ;)

Regulator and BrynCP like this.
  9. Alan O

Alan O Über Member

Which gel saddle? Without knowing, I don't think you can get a meaningful answer - and even then, you can only get an answer that's right for someone else.

I had a gel saddle and did lots of long day rides on it... and it really was quite often painful by the end of the day. I'm really not sure why it took me so long to replace it - it's possibly because I was in some sort of denial after having given away my old Brooks B17 with my previous bike.

But others clearly find different and are well suited to their gel saddles.

I don't think it's anything to do with the kind of saddle - after all, 'gel' is just a sort of foam, and people ride foam-padded saddles for very long distances.

It's surely just the individual saddle that counts, and you just have to find one that suits you - be it gel, leather, wood, cheese, whatever.

10. This!

I suspect that the reason I get on so well with mine has damn all to do with its padding, or any of the weird Selle SMP features. It just happens to be the right size.

Widge, Alan O and Saluki like this.
  11. mjr

mjr Wanting to Keep My EU Citizenship

They're OK if they fit. Just don't call it gel. Call it something like multi density closed cell foam.

12. RoubaixCube

RoubaixCube ~Tribanese~

I use a Selle Italia Maxflite Gel Flow Saddle on the bike i do a lot of my distance riding on. Coupled with a decent pair of padded shorts tights or bib it could work extremely well. I used to have a charge spoon on bother bikes but doing 60-70 miles in one stretch left me extremely sore till i switched over. Now i worry about my pacing for the ride more than a sore arse 60 miles into a long ride

13. OP
    OP
    hoppym27

hoppym27 Well-Known Member

So my best option would be to work out a saddle that fits properly...would my local bike shop do that for me normally?

I've seen some places that do bike fitting but they charge around fifty quid for that..is that the same thing?

14. Dirk

Dirk Veteran

:popcorn:

alicat likes this.
  15. buzzy-beans

buzzy-beans Well-Known Member

Go for a good leather saddle like a Brooks, heaven knows how many 'gel' saddles I bought and chucked away as every single one of them gave me numb bum torture after only a very few limited miles!

raleighnut likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice