general maintainance - where do i start?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shrew

hi folks,

ive always had crappy bikes and never bothered doing anything to look after them, recently i brought a really nice one, the problem is how to maintain it and this concerns me, im in st neots, cambs and cant find any local courses that can teach me so;

are there any bike maitainance books that will teach me how to look after a new road bike with sti levers and such, they would need to be recent and really start at the basics in a clear way?

or does anyone live locally that may be willing to teach me? id be happy to compensate you )

i can oil a chain, fix a pucture and tighten things that look loose and thats about it for the most part, this is something i want to address asap :biggrin:

my STI levers / transmission are my main concern im afraid to touch them, i can probably work out the rest.

would appreciate any advice,

shrew

JediGoat

Formerly Phump
I've got one of the Haynes Bike Books. I've just looked on amazon and there are newer ones than the 4th edition that I have (but even that covers STI levers).

I like Haynes manuals (both for helping me with minor fixes, and looking at all the stuff I could be able to bodge if only I was a*sed to ;) ).

I also used the Bicycle Tutor site for the video guides on how to screw-up (sorry, i mean adjust) my gears.

HTH ;)

PJ79LIZARD

Über Member
+1 for the haynes manual I also bought a road bike specific one, the name escapes me I'll have a look later, the most important is a good bicycle tool kit mine is a draper one, there's no point buying crap the tools are rubbish they break too easy.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
+ 1 to the Bicycle Tutor site. After watching the tutorial on there I replaced my bottom bracket and it was easy peasyB)

Top Bottom