Genesis commuter - Day One vs Flyer vs Smithfield

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

humboldt

Hey all,

Looking to replace my bone-rattling aluminium Marin hybrid for a simpler steel ride and was checking out these models since they're all set up with at least mudguards from the get go. The Smithfield seems pretty regal but heavy and is hard to find in bike shops for a test ride - anyone tried one out who could give me a rough idea of sizing for a 6'1" rider with a 33" inseam? My head is mostly going towards that or the Day One since they both have clearance for bigger tyres for comfort and have disc brakes (which are new for me) which would be good for bad weather, but the Flyer is so pretty this year with that green paintjob; looks like it can only just take 28mm tyres with the mudguards though?
This will be used for commutes with occasional not-too-steep hills and zipping around north London and will have to live outside (well locked up) since my flat is up tons of tight staircases.

vickster

Legendary Member
28mm tyres are perfectly adequate for a London commuter

Presumably you've not considered a folder given the lack of space?

OP
OP
humboldt

humboldt

Folders not my cup of tea unfortunately, plus usually a bit more than I want to spend (should have said I'm getting this through a cycle to work scheme and wanted some left over for a new chain for the lamp post and maybe helmet).
Probably rim brakes are enough to stop me as I weigh very little but the Day One and Smithfield (on sale) are cheaper and seem more... sensible?

Which Day One? Nexus or single speed?

I would look at the Day One as it's a really cracking commute bike in either guise as would the flyer.

Haven't ridden the Smithfield but it didn't really stand out at the Sportline 2018 launch;could be a nice alternative to a hybrid though.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Buy the Day One. Disc brakes will be a revelation after rims and they work in all weathers.
I'm the exact same size as you and I like a 58cm or large.

vickster

Legendary Member
Whatever you do, if buying on C2W and leaving outside, make sure it’s fully insured for full replacement value

OP
OP
humboldt

humboldt

This would be the single speed Day One although if I magically found last year's Nexus version on sale in a large (highly unlikely, I've only seen occasional XS ones online) I'd consider it. Think it's looking like that's the best choice although if at the weekend the Flyer somehow speaks to my very soul when I take it for a test it may be back in the running. Is it just the carbon fork that makes it a little pricier than the Day One?
I will 100% be insuring this, hence the need for a new chain which will be sold secure gold to appease the company if the worst happens. Probably a new mini D for the front wheel too.

OP
OP
humboldt

humboldt

Oh rats, those prices are REALLY good but as far as I can tell they don't take Halfords Cycle2Work vouchers which is unfortunately what my workplace has gone for, but thank you - I'll send them an email just on the offchance to find out.

OP
OP
humboldt

humboldt

Work also offers an interest free (but after tax) loan payable through salary as an alternative to the Cycle2Work option so that could potentially be a better deal... I only have until tomorrow if I want to cancel this letter of collection though so might need to do some maths when I get in.
Just noticed that a new Bikehangar is incoming about three minutes from my house which would surely be better than just sitting out exposed; I know they're not invulnerable but I whacked my name down straight away as I'm going to guess that might help with insurance?

OP
OP
humboldt

humboldt

Good shout - they actually didn't have the stock of the 2017 models and the site is out of date, though he was a very nice guy and offered me a decent discount if I wanted to get the 2018 model and a couple of locks. I think looking at the savings calculator I would still end up paying less through Cycle2Work but nice of them to offer that.

vickster

Legendary Member
Good shout - they actually didn't have the stock of the 2017 models and the site is out of date, though he was a very nice guy and offered me a decent discount if I wanted to get the 2018 model and a couple of locks. I think looking at the savings calculator I would still end up paying less through Cycle2Work but nice of them to offer that.
Maybe see if Cycle heaven have the nexus option...not local though (although 2 hours from KGX to York)

http://www.cycle-heaven.co.uk/bikes/brands/genesis/2017-genesis-day-one-20/

Top Bottom