Genesis Croix De Fer 30 - Thoughts and Possible Alternatives Please..?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Fundamentally, I don't think it's good engineering to run narrow chains & cogs and try to squeeze a stupid number of ratios on to the back wheel of a bike, which gives unwanted effects such as reduced wheel strength due to the dishing. It's basically a crap idea, and all the 1x11 nonsense is just about conning cyclists into buying more new bikes with expensive transmission set-ups. Adult cycling is only a small market compared with the size of the population, and ceased to be a mass form of transport 40+ years ago. It's all about trying to reinvent the wheel, literally, to sell the same relatively small group of customers more and more bikes on as frequent a basis as they can get away with. They'll be bringing back 26" rigid steel MTB's next, once they've run out of other stuff to try and market - and then my old stuff will be the height of fashion.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
In the context of a £1,600 bike, a fifty quid cassette a couple of years down the line is neither here nor there.

I'd be chuffed to have to replace it because it would mean I'd done plenty of miles and had good use from the original purchase.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I have 8 bikes from a Koga Solicio Carbon Di2 to a Koga World Traveller. My go to bike is a Specialized Roubaix. The CDF 20 is the 2nd heaviest bike I own. It is comfortable and solid but not fast.

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
What about a Jamis Aurora? All-steel construction, Reynolds tubing, looks like a proper bike and has Shimano 9 speed stuff on it, so the cost of replacement bits is not going to be eye-watering.
I cannot comprehend anyone that will buy a bike where a cassette and chain replacement bill is getting on for £100!. I've never paid that much for a complete bike, never mind a maintenance item - including the two I bought new (they were a long time ago mind you) As far as I'm concerned a replacement chain should be a Tenner, and so should a rear cluster. A BB should never even need replacement, just stripping down and regreasing.
Thanks for the suggestion - the Aurora looks like a nice touring machine but not so well-suited to more "rugged" terrain.

Totally agree about the cost of parts; I unashamedly like nice things but there's a fine line (or perhaps increasingly not!) between paying for reasonable value quality / innovation / performance and getting just plain stitched. I'm all for longevity, low cost, ease of maintenence and sustainability when I buy anything, and am always skeptical of "the latestest, greatest" thing..

Adult cycling is only a small market compared with the size of the population, and ceased to be a mass form of transport 40+ years ago. It's all about trying to reinvent the wheel, literally, to sell the same relatively small group of customers more and more bikes on as frequent a basis as they can get away with. They'll be bringing back 26" rigid steel MTB's next, once they've run out of other stuff to try and market - and then my old stuff will be the height of fashion.
A great point IMO that I'd not considered; although I guess "we" probably largely abandoned cycling as a mass-transit necessity in what, the '50s? I'm relatively green when it comes to the bike market, but have witnessed this constant marketing-led-reinvention-of-everything mantra play out in many other industries as companies become increasingly desperate to wring their customers dry.. are you familiar with Hambini on Youtube? Less marketing more quality, but I think you'd like his channel :biggrin:

I have 8 bikes from a Koga Solicio Carbon Di2 to a Koga World Traveller. My go to bike is a Specialized Roubaix. The CDF 20 is the 2nd heaviest bike I own. It is comfortable and solid but not fast.
Thanks - not familiar with the Koga, but from the name and the groupset I'm guessing it's not going to be a boat anchor :biggrin:

I can fully appreciate how you're more likely to notice the mass difference between bikes if one's getting on for double that of the other; even more-so if you're an accomplished racing snake (which I'm certainly not!).

So, I made it to the shop earlier today; the following monlogue intended to be as much for my benefit as anyone else's...

Tried both medium and large variants; the excessive reach of the latter instantly ruling it out.. so that's one (thankfully easy) decision made. For reference / anyone else in a similar situation stumbling across this thread in future, I'm about 177-178cm tall (dicky tape measure) with an (overly long) 83-84cm inside leg.

After watching the (otherwise very helpful and friendly) shop assistant scratch the b*ggery out of the seatpost with his fold-out set of Allen keys while setting the seat position (seriously, people actually used these for anything other than an emergency stop gap? :ohmy:) I took the medium CdF 20 out for a 40-50 minute test ride.

First impressions were that at around 12kg yes, it felt heavier, but not heavy (IMO) during handling but not once in the saddle. Take this for what it is; coming from a background of 9-10kg entry-level road bikes (and a boat-anchor of a town bike).

I didn't spend too long looking at the bike itself but fit and finish seemed generally very good, with no cosmetic defects or sub-par quality bits immediately obvious. It looking very nice in its understated dark grey / black monochrome colour scheme.

The stack at the bars was noticeably higher than my sunday-best road bike which felt a little strange for all of about 10 seconds after I'd set off.
The bars are slightly swept back which reduces reach a touch further, while the drops are flared out a fair bit (with the brake levers also angled to follow their orientation). IIRC Genesis state the bar width on this model as 420mm (pretty standard for drops on a med. frame IME), which I guess must apply to the drops as the hoods feel quite close together. Again no issues in this department and if all felt nice and comfortable.

I found myself on the drop perhaps a bit more than usual; probably a combination of maybe 30mm more stack on this bike and 60mm less on my waistline since I last rode my road bike.

My small paws had no issues reaching and manipulating the Tiagra levers for braking and shifting. Braking from the cable-operated hydraulic TRP calipers felt very similar to that of my 5800 rim brakes in terms of feel, modulation and outright bite. Shifting was noticeably lighter and crisper than the (on paper identical) Tiagra 4700 setup on my road bike; perhaps because of degradation in my components of the slight redesign Tiagra has seen recently.

While the saddle position probably wasn't optimal, over my few test miles it felt comfortable and not especially position-sensitive.

Setting off the bike didn't feel at all sluggish; the 37mm WTB tyres generating a degree of road noise (which is doubtless killing efficiency a little) but generally rolling well with no hint of the "cycling through treacle" feeling you get on really fat and knobbly off-road tyres that on tarmac never want to get up to speed and scrub off speed at an alarming rate as soon as the pedals stop turning.

Again, take this account for what it is as I rode to the shop on my old OCR which has a Specailsed Armadillo double-hard-b*stard tyre on the back; which I think is a complete energy thief with enormous rolling resistance.. ultimately the fat, treaded tyres on the Genesis are going to generate more rolling resistance than thinner, un-treaded road tyres, but IME they don't feel starkly sluggish when used on the road.

Ride felt nice; tbh I'm probably not experienced enough to notice the subtleties of the steel frame's alleged ride quality (and I suspect the fat tyres make a lot more difference in practice) but the ride felt smooth with no glaring road buzz. While giving no magic carpet ride over the cratered road surfaces of the city, compared to my ally-framed OCR on 25mm road tyres the CdF was unsurprisingly a good deal less crashy and more comfortable when encoutering potholes and dropping off kerbs.

Nothing about the bike's performance struck me as remarkable tbh (and I mean that in a good way) - steering felt responsive without being twitchy and the bike generally going wherever it was pointed without surprise or fuss.

I tried a couple of hills (Div. road and Headington hill, for the locals) which seemed remarkably easy (I did headington with two sprockets left to spare on the rear cassette :biggrin:); however I suspect I was assisted by the wind to an extent for at least some of it. I've also been riding old / heavy / high-geared bikes a lot recently and have lost a fair bit of weight since I last ventured out on the "proper" road bike, so again a totally unscientific "test". By the same token I've not done any "proper" rides since August, so have probably lost a fair bit of strength / fitness in the interim too.

Out of respect for the shop in question I didn't take the bike off-road so can't comment on its capabilities in this area (and of course it's never going to be as capable as "proper" MTB on rough / technical stuff, but that's not what I want it for).

Bottom line I was very impressed by the CdF. While clearly a compromise / jack of all trades and master of none, nothing glaringly obvious stuck out as being an overly-costly trade-off for the bike's greater versatility and comfort. Really my experiences only echo those of all the others of this bike on the net - very capable, comfortable and accommodating if not outright "fast".

Off the back of my time with the CdF 20 I'm pretty much sold on the idea of the 30 (tbh I'd be happy with the 20 were it not for it's older-standard brakes andQR wheels) and once I've had a few more sleeps to settle on the idea will probably go ahead and order one. My only real reservation now is that apparently for Genesis to honour the bike's warranty they require it to be built in the shop; however today's experiences have only strenthened my existing desire to built it myself (well, as much as is required out of the box) to ensure it's done properly and without any damage.... the guy I've dealt with so far at the shop has been very good so (without dropping today's staff member in it) I'll raise these concerns with him at the time of ordering and hopefully persuade him I'm fit to build it, or get him to do it himself.

Thanks to everyone who's contributed to this thread - I appreciate having some more objective opinions and will (FWIW) update it once some more progress has been made :becool:

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks for the suggestion - the Aurora looks like a nice touring machine but not so well-suited to more "rugged" terrain.

Totally agree about the cost of parts; I unashamedly like nice things but there's a fine line (or perhaps increasingly not!) between paying for reasonable value quality / innovation / performance and getting just plain stitched. I'm all for longevity, low cost, ease of maintenence and sustainability when I buy anything, and am always skeptical of "the latestest, greatest" thing..

A great point IMO that I'd not considered; although I guess "we" probably largely abandoned cycling as a mass-transit necessity in what, the '50s? I'm relatively green when it comes to the bike market, but have witnessed this constant marketing-led-reinvention-of-everything mantra play out in many other industries as companies become increasingly desperate to wring their customers dry.. are you familiar with Hambini on Youtube? Less marketing more quality, but I think you'd like his channel :biggrin:

Thanks - not familiar with the Koga, but from the name and the groupset I'm guessing it's not going to be a boat anchor :biggrin:

I can fully appreciate how you're more likely to notice the mass difference between bikes if one's getting on for double that of the other; even more-so if you're an accomplished racing snake (which I'm certainly not!).

So, I made it to the shop earlier today; the following monlogue intended to be as much for my benefit as anyone else's...

Tried both medium and large variants; the excessive reach of the latter instantly ruling it out.. so that's one (thankfully easy) decision made. For reference / anyone else in a similar situation stumbling across this thread in future, I'm about 177-178cm tall (dicky tape measure) with an (overly long) 83-84cm inside leg.

After watching the (otherwise very helpful and friendly) shop assistant scratch the b*ggery out of the seatpost with his fold-out set of Allen keys while setting the seat position (seriously, people actually used these for anything other than an emergency stop gap? :ohmy:) I took the medium CdF 20 out for a 40-50 minute test ride.

First impressions were that at around 12kg yes, it felt heavier, but not heavy (IMO) during handling but not once in the saddle. Take this for what it is; coming from a background of 9-10kg entry-level road bikes (and a boat-anchor of a town bike).

I didn't spend too long looking at the bike itself but fit and finish seemed generally very good, with no cosmetic defects or sub-par quality bits immediately obvious. It looking very nice in its understated dark grey / black monochrome colour scheme.

The stack at the bars was noticeably higher than my sunday-best road bike which felt a little strange for all of about 10 seconds after I'd set off.
The bars are slightly swept back which reduces reach a touch further, while the drops are flared out a fair bit (with the brake levers also angled to follow their orientation). IIRC Genesis state the bar width on this model as 420mm (pretty standard for drops on a med. frame IME), which I guess must apply to the drops as the hoods feel quite close together. Again no issues in this department and if all felt nice and comfortable.

I found myself on the drop perhaps a bit more than usual; probably a combination of maybe 30mm more stack on this bike and 60mm less on my waistline since I last rode my road bike.

My small paws had no issues reaching and manipulating the Tiagra levers for braking and shifting. Braking from the cable-operated hydraulic TRP calipers felt very similar to that of my 5800 rim brakes in terms of feel, modulation and outright bite. Shifting was noticeably lighter and crisper than the (on paper identical) Tiagra 4700 setup on my road bike; perhaps because of degradation in my components of the slight redesign Tiagra has seen recently.

While the saddle position probably wasn't optimal, over my few test miles it felt comfortable and not especially position-sensitive.

Setting off the bike didn't feel at all sluggish; the 37mm WTB tyres generating a degree of road noise (which is doubtless killing efficiency a little) but generally rolling well with no hint of the "cycling through treacle" feeling you get on really fat and knobbly off-road tyres that on tarmac that never want to get up to speed and scrub off speed at an alarming rate as soon as the pedals stop turning.

Again, take this account for what it is as I rode to the shop on my old OCR which has a Specailsed Armadillo double-hard-b*stardd tyre on the back; which I think is a complete energy thief with enormous rolling resistance.. ultimately the fat, treaded tyres on the Genesis are going to generate more rolling resistance than thinner, un-treaded road tyres, but IME they don't feel starkly sluggish when used on the road.

Ride felt nice; tbh I'm probably not experienced enough to notice the subtleties of the steel frame's alleged ride quality (and I suspect the fat tyres make a lot more difference in practice) but the ride felt smooth with no glaring road buzz. While giving no magic carpet ride over the cratered road surfaces of the city, compared to my ally-framed OCR on 25mm road tyres the CdF was unsurprisingly a good deal less crashy and more comfortable when encoutering potholes and dropping off kerbs.

Nothing about the bike's performance struck me as remarkable tbh (and I mean that in a good way) - steering felt responsive without being twitchy and the bike generally going wherever it was pointed without surprise or fuss.

I tried a couple of hills (Div. road and Headington hill, for the locals) which seemed remarkably easy (I did headington with two sprockets left to spare on the rear cassette :biggrin:); however I suspect I was assisted by the wind to an extent for at least some of it. I've also been riding old / heavy / high-geared bikes a lot recently and have lost a fair bit of weight since I last ventured out on the "proper" road bike, so again a totally unscientific "test". By the same token I've not done any "proper" rides since August, so have probably lost a fair bit of strength / fitness in the interim too.

Out of respect for the shop in question I didn't take the bike off-road so can't comment on its capabilities in this area (and of course it's never going to be as capable as "proper" MTB on rough / technical stuff, but that's not what I want it for).

Bottom line I was very impressed by the CdF. While clearly a compromise / jack of all trades and master of none, nothing glaringly obvious stuck out as being an overly-costly trade-off for the bike's greater versatility and comfort. Really my experiences only echo those of all the others of this bike on the net - very capable, comfortable and accommodating if not outright "fast".

Off the back of my time with the CdF 20 I'm pretty much sold on the idea of the 30 (tbh I'd be happy with the 20 were it not for it's older-standard brakes andQR wheels) and once I've had a few more sleeps to settle on the idea will probably go ahead and order one. My only real reservation now is that apparently for Genesis to honour the bike's warranty they require it to be built in the shop; however today's experiences have only strenthened my existing desire to built it myself (well, as much as is required out of the box) to ensure it's done properly and without any damage.... the guy I've dealt with so far at the shop has been very good so (without dropping today's staff member in it) I'll raise these concerns with him at the time of ordering and hopefully persuade him I'm fit to build it, or get him to do it himself.

Thanks to everyone who's contributed to this thread - I appreciate having some more objective opinions and will (FWIW) update it once some more progress has been made :becool:
Just be aware that hydraulic brifters are rather chunkier than those paired with mechanical brakes.

A 54cm Spa Elan would be pretty much perfect for you. You’re similarly proportioned to me and that’s the size I testrode before buying the M / 54cm Sabbath AR1 from Spa :okay:

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

Just be aware that hydraulic brifters are rather chunkier than those paired with mechanical brakes.

A 54cm Spa Elan would be pretty much perfect for you. You’re similarly proportioned to me and that’s the size I testrode before buying the M / 54cm Sabbath AR1 from Spa :okay:
Thanks for the thought - I did consider that and had a bit of a play with some of the Hydro-105-equipped bikes in the shop, but didn't go so far as actually getting on one. There appears to be a bit more reach on the hoods and possibly to the levers, although there's also a good amount of free-travel before the braking bite point so I'm hoping I can adjust out a fair bit of this if necessary :smile:

Thanks for the Spa suggestion but tbh I'm pretty resolute re. the CdF now - other than the price and to a lesser extent the mass there's nothing I don't like about it and spec-wise it's pretty much as I'd dictate myself were I building it from scratch :smile:

Last edited:
OP
OP
wafter

wafter

You might be able to get an older frame at a good price. The CdF Ti is rather lovely :whistle:
The cheapest I've seen the 2019 CdF 30 is £1509, and that's with a 105 rear derailleur while the 2020 model comes with the clutched GRX item, so should be better on the rougher stuff. The £90 price difference is largely eaten up by the £60ish difference in cost of the rear mechs, and besides I'd rather use my LBS (the 2019 model would be mail order) since they've been good so far and I've used them for a test ride.

If I could get Ti for the same price as steel I might consider it, but tbh I'm not 100% sold on it and don't find it particularly desirable - naively or otherwise I'm after a "lifetime bike" and am not sold on Ti's seemingly inferior fatigue properties (having already written off one ally frame thanks to cracks propagating from a weld as a result of cyclic loading). In any case it's a moot point as the "cheapest" I've seen the older Ti models is well north of £2k and I'm already well over budget at £1600.

Shallow as it is I'm also quite sold on the understated, retro and IMO somewhat timeless aesthetic of the steel bike :smile:

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

Just to add, I hope I'm not coming across as one of those muppets who sets their heart on something, goes on a forum seeking validation for thier choice then gets snotty when they don't get it. I have / had a pretty good idea of what I want and have already done a fair bit of research but don't know the market inside out so it's always good to get some other opinions in case someone knows something I don't...

I'm grateful for the many valid suggestions that have been made and have given consideration to them all; just happens that so far the alternatives suggested have fallen short in areas I consider important, or the drawbacks listed are evidently not as important to me as other factors / as important as others see them.

For example I'm aware that if I spent my budget on (for example) one of last year's CFRP road bikes from one of the larger manufacturers (say Giant) I could get something faster (on-road), a fair bit lighter and with a higher-spec group set.. however this would all be at the cost of facets that I personally assign higher value to - capability over a wider range of terrain, longevity, durability, predictability, engineering finesse (in the case of the bottom bracket standards at least)..

I'm aware that the model I'm looking at doesn't represent the pinnacle of value for money in many ways, but if it's going to last me 20yrs (I managed to get 16 out of my old Giant and only replaced it because the frame started to fall to bits, after all) that's far less of a concern, while of course a certain amount of every leisure item purchase is driven by irrational wants rather than cold, hard logic (although I think a fair bit of my choice is).

:smile:

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Shallow as it is I'm also quite sold on the understated, retro and IMO somewhat timeless aesthetic of the steel bike :smile:

Not shallow at all, when I decided that I wanted a shiny new gravel bike, a steel frame was a non negotiable for me. Like you, the aesthetic was a major part of that decision.

The CDF is a lovely looking bike as well as being a well built one with great components. Post some photos up when it arrives and enjoy it.

vickster

Legendary Member
I do have a steel Genesis myself. I love it :okay: (and I have Ti in the stable too). Indeed, I considered another with disc brakes recently as I could get at a heavily discounted price (but I have no need nor space, and can’t be bothered selling a couple to make way :unsure: )

All uphill

Still rolling along
I do have a steel Genesis myself. I love it :okay: (and I have Ti in the stable too). Indeed, I considered another with disc brakes recently as I could get at a heavily discounted price (but I have no need nor space, and can’t be bothered selling a couple to make way :unsure: )
If you need me to take that Ti bike off your hands, let me know. I like to help people.😉

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Just to let you know tgat riders have completed the Transcontinental race on CDFs. I completed Tuscany Road on mine 550km and 5000m of climbing in 2 days. I am not a racer and they were long days 😁

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

Not shallow at all, when I decided that I wanted a shiny new gravel bike, a steel frame was a non negotiable for me. Like you, the aesthetic was a major part of that decision.

The CDF is a lovely looking bike as well as being a well built one with great components. Post some photos up when it arrives and enjoy it.
Thanks - I appreciate you saying so :smile:

I'd like to think I'd never go so far as to choose form over function, but it certainly helps to like the way things look!

I'll certainly get some pics up when I eventually sort the bike out; just a matter of letting the idea settle in my mind, contening myself that the bike shop aren't going to wreck it building it up and sorting out the logistics. Does the forum have a specific sub-forum for members' bikes? I don't recall seeing one..

Just to let you know tgat riders have completed the Transcontinental race on CDFs. I completed Tuscany Road on mine 550km and 5000m of climbing in 2 days. I am not a racer and they were long days 😁 View attachment 504236
Wow - that's an epic ride; nice work :becool:

Top Bottom