Genesis Croix De Fer 30 - Thoughts and Possible Alternatives Please..?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

beastie

Guru
Did you get the CDF @wafter ??

I have a CDF 20. I really enjoy riding it. Just fitted new tyres today.

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Did you get the CDF @wafter ??

I have a CDF 20. I really enjoy riding it. Just fitted new tyres today. View attachment 520571
I did get one in the end; my initial thoughts being in this thread. A few things have changed since but I'm waiting to make a bit more progress before updating the thread.

A few smallish issues aside I'm really loving mine - have done over 400 miles on it so far in about three weeks :smile:

Glad you're enjoying yours too - looks grand and I really like the colour scheme!

straas

Matt
Do you have a long term review? Looking to replace my Ribble audax winter bike.

Would largely look to be using it on road with the option of going off piste now and then.

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

Do you have a long term review? Looking to replace my Ribble audax winter bike.

Would largely look to be using it on road with the option of going off piste now and then.

Most of it should be in the thread linked to in my previous post, however in summary I've now covered circa 4k miles on the bike; although most of these back when I was living in Oxford. Having moved back to boomer hell I've lost my mojo for leisure rides and in an effort to incentivise getting out on two wheels have bought a Fuji Touring for utility journeys.

I can barely fault the Genesis - it's only been gathering dust due to my personal circumstances and reluctance to leave something of this value / mintyness locked up outside the shops while I'm inside securing gin and other essentials.

I think the 2019/2020 30-spec model hit the sweet spot with almost full 105 hydro groupset, while the previous year got ergonomically-inferior non-series bits and the later model is cynically crippled with mechanical disks.

I'm running 35mm tyres which is about max - ideally clearance for mid-40s would be nice; later models claim this and I'm not sure if it's the result of a legit change to the frame or a shift in marketing bullsh*t. Currently tyre size on mine seems more limited by the guards than the frame itself.. although I'd not want to get rid of the SKS Longboards as they've done a great job of keeping the sh*te off the bike and myself.

I'm also not overly keen on the gearing; and think that the bike would benefit from a smaller crankset (as later models do with the GRX setup). While I'd much rather have a double than a single chainset, I find myself skipping between them and instead of the standard 105 50/34, think something along the lines of a 44/28 would be better to maximise time in the big ring. Closest you can get off the shelf appears to be the GRX 600 46/30; which I'm considering but am not sure if it's enough of a difference to warrant the cost.

I've also grown increasingly weary of the shouty, "look at me" freehub / the clatter it produces while coasting; but I appreciate that this is, to some extent a matter of personal preference.

Other than that (and the stuff covered in the main thread) I can't fault the bike - build quality seems generally good, I've had few problems if any with the components (quelle suprise, being Jap) and I look forward to a time when I can pile more miles on it. That said, the Fuji has taught me the benefits of much more modest gear and had I bought this bike first (which, used owes me about 20-25% what the CdF does) I'm not sure I'd have chucked the money at the Genesis; as undeniably nice as it is.

All that said I'd definitely recommend a nice steel frame over any of the placcy / recycled-pop-can offerings you might find ;)

Last edited:

straas

Matt
Most of it should be in the thread linked to in my previous post, however in summary I've now covered circa 4k miles on the bike; although most of these back when I was living in Oxford. Having moved back to boomer hell I've lost my mojo for leisure rides and in an effort to incentivise getting out on two wheels have bought a Fuji Touring for utility journeys.

I can barely fault the Genesis - it's only been gathering dust due to my personal circumstances and reluctance to leave something of this value / mintyness locked up outside the shops while I'm inside securing gin and other essentials.

I think the 2019/2020 30-spec model hit the sweet spot with almost full 105 hydro groupset, while the previous year got ergonomically-inferior non-series bits and the later model is cynically crippled with mechanical disks.

I'm running 35mm tyres which is about max - ideally clearance for mid-40s would be nice; later models claim this and I'm not sure if it's the result of a legit change to the frame or a shift in marketing bullsh*t. Currently tyre size on mine seems more limited by the guards than the frame itself.. although I'd not want to get rid of the SKS Longboards as they've done a great job of keeping the sh*te off the bike and myself.

I'm also not overly keen on the gearing; and think that the bike would benefit from a smaller crankset (as later models do with the GRX setup). While I'd much rather have a double than a single chainset, I find myself skipping between them and instead of the standard 105 50/34, think something along the lines of a 44/28 would be better to maximise time in the big ring. Closest you can get off the shelf appears to be the GRX 600 46/30; which I'm considering but am not sure if it's enough of a difference to warrant the cost.

I've also grown increasingly weary of the shouty, "look at me" freehub / the clatter it produces while coasting; but I appreciate that this is, to some extent a matter of personal preference.

Other than that (and the stuff covered in the main thread) I can't fault the bike - build quality seems generally good, I've had few problems if any with the components (quelle suprise, being Jap) and I look forward to a time when I can pile more miles on it. That said, the Fuji has taught me the benefits of much more modest gear and had I bought this bike first (which, used owes me about 20-25% what the CdF does) I'm not sure I'd have chucked the money at the Genesis; as undeniably nice as it is.

All that said I'd definitely recommend a nice steel frame over any of the placcy / recycled-pop-can offerings you might find ;)

Should I keep an eye out on the for sale then?? 😀

Falsesummat

I bought a 2021 model Genesis CDF frameset, it has the steel fork not carbon and takes flat mount hydraulic brake calipers. I built it up using components from a 2019 Cube gravel bike that had been fitted with a Shimano 105 50/34 chainset. I bought and fitted a Shimano GRX 46/30 chainset, this gave a bottom gear of 30/32 which i thought would be ideal for an upvoming LEJOG tour.
In September 2021 my son and i cycled LEJOG, we carried around 10 kg gear each, so not particularly heavily laden. The chosen route through Cornwall meant climbing numerous 20% rural roads and my bike gears were not low enough and i ended up pushing my bike up some hills.
I have since fitted the bike with a SPA Cycles 42/26 chainset with a square taper bottom bracket. This choice is ideal for me. Ive fitted an 11/34 cassette so bottom gear is 26/34. The top gear of 42/11 is more than adequate for a touring bike.
Manufacturers take note. With the benefit of hindsight i ought to have bought a SPA tourer and specced it with low gearing. BUT along with many other i was caught up with the " id like a gravel bike". I imagine Shimano 105 hydraulic was cheap and plentiful pre covid, so manufacturers titted it on just about anything.

Jameshow

Veteran
I bought a 2021 model Genesis CDF frameset, it has the steel fork not carbon and takes flat mount hydraulic brake calipers. I built it up using components from a 2019 Cube gravel bike that had been fitted with a Shimano 105 50/34 chainset. I bought and fitted a Shimano GRX 46/30 chainset, this gave a bottom gear of 30/32 which i thought would be ideal for an upvoming LEJOG tour.
In September 2021 my son and i cycled LEJOG, we carried around 10 kg gear each, so not particularly heavily laden. The chosen route through Cornwall meant climbing numerous 20% rural roads and my bike gears were not low enough and i ended up pushing my bike up some hills.
I have since fitted the bike with a SPA Cycles 42/26 chainset with a square taper bottom bracket. This choice is ideal for me. Ive fitted an 11/34 cassette so bottom gear is 26/34. The top gear of 42/11 is more than adequate for a touring bike.
Manufacturers take note. With the benefit of hindsight i ought to have bought a SPA tourer and specced it with low gearing. BUT along with many other i was caught up with the " id like a gravel bike". I imagine Shimano 105 hydraulic was cheap and plentiful pre covid, so manufacturers titted it on just about anything.

Problem is what you need at the start of a day/tour and the end are two different gears! I had a good mile climb to my first b+b Oakhampton on my lejog which I could do in the big ring on a usual ride but need the 34-36 to get me home!🤣🤣🤣

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

Should I keep an eye out on the for sale then?? 😀
Nope 👍

You make reasonable points, however it must be remembered that the CdF is marketed as a gravel bike rather than a tourer - by contrast the TdF comes with a triple; although I believe the lowest gear is still 30t.

I absolutely agree that the std 34/50 is too large for mixed "gravel" and have long-considered changing to the GRX 30/46 crankset.. personally I reckon this would do well for general duties, however can appreciate how loaded touring would benefit from something lower (as is corroborated by the 48/36/26 on my Fuji when I need to haul a particularly large score of gin, tonic and eggs up a 10%+ grad :tongue: )

albal

Guru
I own a cdf 30. Purchased Dec 2019. Fitted with Grx 46/30. Completed dover -cape wrath last year. Jogle in 2021. And just finished shetlands and back to Dorset.
Algarve to UK rides. X2.
Munich last autumn.

A few miles.
Coped very well generally.

albal

Guru
I own a cdf 30. Purchased Dec 2019. Fitted with Grx 46/30. Completed dover -cape wrath last year. Jogle in 2021. And just finished shetlands and back to Dorset.
Algarve to UK rides. X2.
Munich last autumn.

A few miles.
Coped very well generally.

Sorry it's a cdf 50. My mistake, don't know what bike i own !!

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

Sorry it's a cdf 50. My mistake, don't know what bike i own !!

Are you sure? IIRC the 50 didn't come out until MY2021 or thereabouts; the 30 being the top end alloy steel offering until this point.. got a photo?

Top Bottom