Genesis Croix De Fer for 13 mile commute each way some 'orrible hills

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bauldbairn

The lizard skin patches whick look like carbon but feel like leather are nice :thumbsup:

Kinky!!! ;)

..........I recommended the clear one's because it was for a white bike! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
S

supermoocow

So does this mean you've bought the C de F then??????????? :wacko:

If so - congratulations!..........It's a smashing looking bike. :thumbsup: B)

Don't worry about the white paint - I've got a white bike and it's no more difficult to keep clean than any other colour(unless you've got OCD ;) ).

I'd recommend a pack of "Lizard Skin" clear frame protectors - available from CRC - to protect from cable rub etc.

Good luck with it - and remember to post some picture once you get it. :smile:

If all goes well yes should be picking up by the end of the week....
Will post pic :smile:

With the Lizard Skins is it worth getting the pack with the chain stay protector or just normal patch pack?

Renard

With the Lizard Skins is it worth getting the pack with the chain stay protector or just normal patch pack?

I would get the stay protector, especially on a commuting bike.

bauldbairn

My bike had a clear chainstay protector on it already but it's probably best if you get another one anyway.

I've used four of the patches(got two spare) and they are virtually invisible - apart from the little silver lizard logo. They're available post free from Chain Reaction Cycles.

I'll look forward to the pictures as I almost bought one myself in May. B)

Vikeonabike

CC Neighbourhood Police Constable
Had a look at SMC's route on Mapometer. Trip from D to R looks fun....Coming back however there is a 300 foot climb in just over 2 miles. Now that may not seem too bad to our friends up in the hillier parts but I live in Lincolnshire and anything taller that a foot bridge is a mountain!

OK,
Commuting Daventry to Rugby via Barby. There's a few nasty hills on the way.
Have Sirrus something flat bar hybrid with carbon front and rear at the moment but got £1000 voucher for cyclescheme finally...
Will be back roads mostly with 2 mile of dirt track (old railway track through rugby. not too potholy).

Kind of thought about a Genesis Croix De Fer with 28 marathons or armadilo's on it? Worried about weight and only double not triple front gears (Sirrus is tripple and it kills me with that gear ratio).
Could be an all rounder winter bike as well and like the idea of Disk brakes after the wear last winter had on my rims!!!!

Otherwise an audax bike of some sorts if it can take light back trail for a little bit?

Opinions or ideas greatly recieved :smile:

Another similar bike but with a tripple is the Marin Toscana

BenScoobert

my cdf came today, it has a patch on the top side of the right just below the chain, although its peeling off, not yet sure if thats down to poor quality or lack of a good squeeze, just unpacking it now

barnesy

my cdf came today, it has a patch on the top side of the right just below the chain, although its peeling off, not yet sure if thats down to poor quality or lack of a good squeeze, just unpacking it now

Get some pics up when you are unpacking it/have it built. Im really considering getting one of these

Barbelier

I'm a fan of the Genesis C de F it's a very nice bike and has been discussed on this forum several times. Try searching for threads and posts on it on here.

There's also the Kona Dew Drop, Edinburgh Bike Coop " Revolution Explorer" and many of the sporty flatbar bikes like Boardmans have discs.

Norm will be along shortly to persuade you to have a look at the Specialized Tricross, there's also the Boardman CX although these don't have disc brakes.

The UCI have just announced that disc brakes will be legal for Cyclo Cross(CX)racing next year so I believe there will be quite a few disc models from all the big manufacturers in the very near future.

I love my Revolution Country Explorer. I upgraded the disc brakes to Avid BB7s and they're great! :smile:

OP
OP
S

supermoocow

Yeh we both got our bikes today :smile:
It felt like Chirstmas when I got it :smile:

Only had a chance to have a quick ride.
The spd's feel a lot better than cages!!!
The bike shop put a plastic platform on one side of the pedals. Thats coming off real soon. I can't believe I haven't used clip-ins before now.

Rode on a couple of little hills locally and the gears seemed fine. Will have to wait until next week probably before I can try anything larger...

It seems a bit of a shame to get the bike dirty.

There is a thin patch on my bike which seems stuck OK but not sure the protection it would really provide. Will order some of the clear patches to protect the frame.

Weight wise the CDV feels slightly heavier than the Sirrus Comp but the cycling angle seems better for power.

Will pop up a review after a few miles are under my belt.

Thanks for all the help/advice guys

Attachments

• 100622_cdf_purchase day.JPG
    100622_cdf_purchase day.JPG
    235.9 KB · Views: 515

BenScoobert

I've had a little test ride
http://www.endomondo...orkouts/1709863

IMAG0009.jpg

As you can see I've added lights, bottle holder and a pump. I didn't fit the pedals it came with, I've never used cleats and I want to get used the bike 1st, then I'll consider that.

IMAG0010.jpg

Genesis no longer fit the tektra top mount brakes as per an earlier post, I do think I'll add them though, in traffic I can see they'd be life savers.
However you have 3 comfortable riding positions, 2 of which have brakes if you don't have the tektra.
I really hoped mine would come with them, but it is how it is, by the sounds of it I'm lkucky to get it, many shops out of stock and wheelies took it off the site after I ordered, they said I got the last 56cm they had.

IMAG0011.jpg
IMAG0012.jpg
My additions.

IMAG0014.jpg
Rear view

IMAG0015.jpg IMAG0016.jpg
Front

IMAG0017.jpg
Tyre tread, my ride starts with a shale and cow shoot farm track, it seemed to cope fine, although I stood on the pedals.

All considered, I'm happy with it, I don't have much to compare it to except my ridgeback mx45 mountain bike. So a review is of little help without comparison. So take my comments as you please.
The seat looks like a bit of an ass knife, I wore cheap padded shorts and I'm aching a little, but if I'd gone on the mountain bike cushion I'd still ache, so I think the seat will stay as I get used to it.
I will get mud guards and a 2nd water bottle holder along with the brake levers.
The gear change is lovely and smooth, and until today i didnt realise you can go down 2 gears at once with a bigger push of the lever. Brakes need bedding in so I can't comment on them.

If anyone wants a picture of a specific bit then let me know.

bauldbairn

Congratulations on the new bikes Supermoocow and BenScoobert - very nice modifications and pictures too! B)

I like the saddle and bar tape colour adds a touch of class. :thumbsup:

Enjoy them and don't forget to update us on your progress.

Top Bottom