Genesis Croix De Fer for 13 mile commute each way some 'orrible hills

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BenScoobert

Congratulations on the new bikes Supermoocow and BenScoobert - very nice modifications and pictures too! B)

I like the saddle and bar tape colour adds a touch of class. :thumbsup:

Enjoy them and don't forget to update us on your progress.

I agree, although I don't like the tape which is on the handle bars. Sticky on the outside a little.

Ride 2
http://www.endomondo.com/workouts/mfW1EQEV16I
Went a little further this time, small steady increments is my plan, I'm so unfit. Strong as an ox but no stamina.
Todays ride actually seemed a little easier than yesterday despite adding a mile, also only stopped twice, Mum's chain came off and 1 drink stop.

I've order the tektra top mount brakes, they will come next week, I fit 2 bottle holders today and put the other back on my MTB, I also fit a tiny saddlebag and 2 mudguards, clearance is ok :-)

My wrists ache a little from when I use the brakes as rests from above, I guess thats just due to it being an odd position for a new cyclist. I woke up in the middle of the night laid on my front with 1 leg outstretched and couldn't bend it due to shooting pain in my knee, when my wife raised it and I flexed it just went away and was fine, old age creeping up on me I think.

The bike seemed a little comfier than yesterday, I tilted the seat very slightly forward from the factory position as it was pointing upwards at the front, its near as dammit level now. I feel this helped with comfort although I'm still bruised, but tollerable.

Tomorrows ride will be a little further I think, maybe push for 8 miles.

bauldbairn

I agree, although I don't like the tape which is on the handle bars. Sticky on the outside a little.

I wouldn't change the tape just yet as the stickiness will probably reduce with weathering/wear and tear.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Ben, check the bike setup before you assume that all the aches and pains are just down to upping the mileage and a new bike. A lot of shops will give you a hand with this no charge, it doesn't take long to get a good approximation. The key first part is the saddle height and how far back from the bottom bracket. I suffered from lower back and knee pains until I got this sorted, saddle was far too low, it was fine for about 10 miles but got steadily worse after that. Then work forward to the bars, make sure the reach is right and check your wrist angle on the hoods. This can be altered easily by tilting the bars forwards or backwards, again a friendly eye from a bike shop makes this much easier.

Keep giving us the updates, I think you can tell the CdF is a bike of interest. :biggrin:

BenScoobert

Ben, check the bike setup before you assume that all the aches and pains are just down to upping the mileage and a new bike. A lot of shops will give you a hand with this no charge, it doesn't take long to get a good approximation. The key first part is the saddle height and how far back from the bottom bracket. I suffered from lower back and knee pains until I got this sorted, saddle was far too low, it was fine for about 10 miles but got steadily worse after that. Then work forward to the bars, make sure the reach is right and check your wrist angle on the hoods. This can be altered easily by tilting the bars forwards or backwards, again a friendly eye from a bike shop makes this much easier.

Keep giving us the updates, I think you can tell the CdF is a bike of interest. :biggrin:

My only real pain is the crotch from the ass-knife it comes with, but its improving and I'm determined not to swap it.

One thing I have noticed, I could do with a lower and higher gear, I feel it doesn't quite have enough range, as a new rider on steep hills I sometimes have to get off, my lowest gear is about the same as my Mum's 4th gear on her 21 speed.
Then in top gear, I'm hitting 34-35mph and struggling to keep up with it. Guess I could swap the front set, but as fitness improves I'll probably wish I hadn't.

primalgeek

Hi supermoocow,

What rack is that you have on your CdF? I've also got a CdF and tried to fit a Topeak Supertourist DX w/disc brakes with no luck!

primalgeek

Hows everyone else getting on with the standard seat on this bike?

Ouch!!!

I had to play about a lot with the tilt of the saddle before I anywhere near comfortable... but now I'm constantly sliding forward all the time. I guess a new saddle will be my next purchase after I've sorted out a pannier rack & mud guards.

Finding a pannier rack thats "plug 'n play" is proving to be a wee bit problematic because the bosses on the seat stays are set on the inside edge of the frame so the rack I've tried (Topeak SuperTourist disc compatible) fouls on the drop-outs.

BenScoobert

Ouch!!!

I had to play about a lot with the tilt of the saddle before I anywhere near comfortable... but now I'm constantly sliding forward all the time. I guess a new saddle will be my next purchase after I've sorted out a pannier rack & mud guards.

Finding a pannier rack thats "plug 'n play" is proving to be a wee bit problematic because the bosses on the seat stays are set on the inside edge of the frame so the rack I've tried (Topeak SuperTourist disc compatible) fouls on the drop-outs.

I'm tempted with a Brooks saddle, they seem to be liked.

Can't help you on the luggage carrying, I have a little saddle bag with a multitool, GPS receiver, inhaler, emergency bogroll and £10 inside.

I'm tempted with a Brooks saddle, they seem to be liked.

Can't help you on the luggage carrying, I have a little saddle bag with a multitool, GPS receiver, inhaler, emergency bogroll and £10 inside.

For those cr@p overtakes that scare the sh1t out of you :wacko:

BenScoobert

For those cr@p overtakes that scare the sh1t out of you :wacko:

IMAG0021.jpg IMAG0020.jpg

because where we're going we don't need....roads

I did a run on Sunday, 12 miles round trip and saw 3 cars from start to finish, bliss

jimboalee

[attachment=393:blush:MAG0021.jpg][attachment=392:blush:MAG0020.jpg]

because where we're going we don't need....roads

I did a run on Sunday, 12 miles round trip and saw 3 cars from start to finish, bliss

I hope it wasn't you who left that empty Lucozade bottle.

Did you pick it up and put it in a bin?

Top Bottom