Genesis Day One 10 upgrade

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CXRAndy

Guru
I been riding around for years on my Kona mtb for local riding, but fancied something a little quicker with a pannier rack for shopping carrying families kit when we go slightly further.

So I bought a 2018 Genesis bike complete. With the cost being nearly as cheap as most bare frames it wasn't worth the hassle to build up from scratch, saying that by the time Ive finished I will have just about built a bike. I'll sell the lower grade wheels and brakes, handlebar to recoup some money

I'll upgrade to Alfine and hydraulic brakes and dynamo hubs

John_S

Über Member
Hi CXRAndy,

I hope that you enjoy your new bike!

I have a 2014 Day One Alfine 8 which is my daily year round commuting bike and I can definitely agree with the idea to add a dynamo hub. I added a Shimano dynamo hub to my bike and then fitted B&M dynamo headlight and rear light and it was one of the best upgrades that I've ever made to a bike and on a year round use bike I wouldn't want to be without dynamo lighting now.

What brakes are you thinking of going for? I've often toyed with the idea of getting some TRP Hylex brakes but I've not yet done so.

Enjoy getting your upgrades in place.

John

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
What brakes are you thinking of going for? I've often toyed with the idea of getting some TRP Hylex brakes but I've not yet done so

Ive got some spare Shimano BR 785 calipers, I'll use XT flat bar levers-this is a flat bar bike conversion,. Im hopefully going to fabricate a mount for the headlight on the stem bolts, unless i can find something premade. I want to make the lights unobtrusive so i can leave them permanently fixed. A decent rear pannier rack with luggage for the times ill do a little shopping or venture further. I do like the BM lights, my wife's shopper is equipped with them, also the Exposure Revo, but need to find a uber bright standby rear light to work with it. First I await the bike delivery, then assess. New Stans Flow Mk 3 mtb rims with G Ones are on order.

John_S

Über Member
Hi CXR Andy,

I've got my B&M IQ-X dynamo headlight fixed to the hole on the fork crown and I leave this light permanently attached to my bike all year around and so far (touch wood) has been great in a fit and forget sort of way whereby I always have lighting and don't have to worry about charging batteries etc. and I also like the fact that with the fact that it's attached at the fork crown it's not yet another thing on the handlebars.

Re: my rear B&M dynamo light I can't remember exactly what model I bought (apologies as it was around 4 years ago that I bought it now) but it does have a stand light feature and I'd not had a dynamo rear light before to compare it against but I'm happy with mine. Although obviously I'm not looking at the rear light very often if for example I've got home at the end of the day and I've locked the bike away in the garage but a few minutes later I need to go back into the garage to get or do something then I find that the rear light is still on. Therefore I certainly think that the stand light feature on my own B&M rear dynamo light is more than sufficient to stay lit up when I'm stopped at the lights for example. When I am stopped at traffic lights or junctions l notice that the headlight dips a fair bit (but not to off so it would still be visible to other road users) and so i presume that most of the power is directed to the rear which seems good as far as I'm concerned and the headlight comes straight back on as soon as I get moving again.

Good luck with getting your Day One built up as you want it and I hope that you enjoy your new bike!

John

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
Thanks John, the bike should arrive this week, multiple web pages loaded up with orders ready to go once I've checked the frame over

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
Having slightly altered my upgrade, ive done most it now, just need dynamo hub fitted, wired and its all done

Busch &Mueller front and rear dynamo lights. The front light has standby feature for remaining lit at junctions and the rear has brake light feature that increase tail light brightness when braking.

Shimano hydraulic Di2 brakes system(future upgrade), much happier now stopping

Topeak rack and pannier bag for shopping :smile:

Attachments

• 20190214_124112.jpg
    20190214_124112.jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
Top Bottom