Genesis day One chain tensioners

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Good Morning,
I want to change the tensioners on rear wheel as they are a bit naff, searched about and come up with zilch. Anyone help or has anyone changed theirs out ?
Suppose no real reason but thinking of ‘tarting’ mi Genesis up a bit. A fello CC’er had a cross version with brown bar tape so going that way too

Also have TRP Spyres on it and the front especially is pretty naff. Going to change pads out, whats a decent pad to swop to on these brakes ?

as always, many thanks in advance.

Last edited:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Chain tugs don't have to do much, maybe just replace those chewed up nuts and put some washers under them?
Brake pads can be cheap, Discobrakes do them (DS01's) or genuine Shimano E01S for the sintered/metallic version.

OP
OP
T

Tripster

Chain tugs don't have to do much, maybe just replace those chewed up nuts and put some washers under them?
Brake pads can be cheap, Discobrakes do them (DS01's) or genuine Shimano E01S for the sintered/metallic version.
Its more the paint on the nuts but they are a little rounded and soft cheap crap

OP
OP
T

Tripster

How about a Surly Tuggnut? Pricy (£20) but it makes chain tensioning a doddle and comes with a built in bottle opener! You only need one on the drive side.
Found some similar but for £15. Genetic Track Chain Tensioners in black. No blue in stock. And whilst looking was gobsmacked at the price of M10 Flanged nuts for axles..... £30+ for 4 !!!!! Found some on eBay, 4 Anodised blue for £10
If I was on site I could have handfuls of them, not anodised blue like

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
Found some similar but for £15. Genetic Track Chain Tensioners in black. No blue in stock. And whilst looking was gobsmacked at the price of M10 Flanged nuts for axles..... £30+ for 4 !!!!! Found some on eBay, 4 Anodised blue for £10
If I was on site I could have handfuls of them, not anodised blue like
The tuggnut is a better design. Chain tension turning the screw by hand is much easier, but the choice is yours.

OP
OP
T

Tripster

The tuggnut is a better design. Chain tension turning the screw by hand is much easier, but the choice is yours.
Yes I agree, much simpler design and more straight forward with one hand adjuster. It’s just a run about bike and just messing about with it really for fun so couldn’t stretch to £30 for one tuggnut. I needed some axle nuts too. Knowing my luck these will be crap and I will end up ordering a tuggnut...buy cheap buy twice my dad use to say :sad:

silva

Über Member
"Anodized blue" sounds like aluminium, wears easily thread stripped easily.
And since tensioning has to be done alot times...

Top Bottom