Genesis Equilibrium to Gravel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Vaughan79

Hiya,

I am the proud owner of a 2013 Genesis Equilibrium 20 - which I love dearly...

I have mostly used my bike for short commutes and leisurely weekend rides..

My Equilibrium is a reynolds steel 725 frame with carbon fibre forks.

https://www.bikeradar.com/reviews/bikes/road-bikes/genesis-equilibrium-20-review-2/

Is there a way in which I can set up my bike to be more gravel friendly?

Wider tires and better brakes - please suggest (not change forks nor upgrade to disc brakes).

Nothing crazy but just want to be able to commute to work via gravel track really.

I don't want to go full cyclocross but just want to know if it is possible to make some small simple changes really.

I appreciate any help.

Many thanks

Derek

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200915-182742_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200915-182742_Chrome.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 39

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I guess the main thing you can change quickly, easily and relatively cheaply is tyres. What size/ type are you running now? If clearances allow going up to 32c would be worthwhile. Perhaps something a bit knobbly? Your existing brakes should be fine and well able to cope with gravel and unmade paths. Apart from that there’s little you can or need to do.

BTW :welcome: to the forum.

OP
OP
V

Vaughan79

Hi there!

Thank you for the warm welcome and responding to my plea for help so swiftly!

With regards to tyres...
I still have the origional tyres which are continentals I think 23/25s

Im now just a little concerned about tyre/fork clearance🤔

Do I look at improving brake blocks?

Or is that pointless?🤷🏻‍♂️

Once again thank you for your help

Best regards

Derek

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I guess the main thing you can change quickly, easily and relatively cheaply is tyres. What size/ type are you running now? If clearances allow going up to 32c would be worthwhile. Perhaps something a bit knobbly? Your existing brakes should be fine and well able to cope with gravel and unmade paths. Apart from that there’s little you can or need to do.

BTW :welcome: to the forum.
28's should be fine unless the paths/trails are really bad.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Aye - fatter and/or knobbier tyres are the obvious one, beyond that I think your options are limited and increasingly expensive / poor value.

Bear in mind that tread pattern adds to effective tyre size so you might get away with a wider slick tyre over alternatives with more pronounced tread patterns.. all depends on what you want to do.

I run 35mm Conti Sport Contact IIs on my CdF which are effectively slick and they're a great all round tyre for what I ride (mostly road with bridleways / tow paths / cycle tracks). The only times I've wished for more tread is on really loose sketchy gravel or wet mud; on the latter they're predictably useless.

If you want to spend more time off-road and are happy to give up some rolling resistance and wear on the road, something with a more aggressive tread may be more suitable.

If your brakes are decent now I see no need to "upgrade".

vickster

Legendary Member
I have the same frame, I don't think I'd get more than a 28mm tyre on (I run 25 road tyres with full chromoplastic mudguards and long drop brakes). During lockdown I bought a 2015 Eq disc, but that has 27mm tyres, again, I don't think it would take much more (the latest model comes with 30s)

The reason gravel bikes have discs is so they can have a bigger clearance for the tyres.
You'll not be able to get as wide a tyre on your bike as the rim brakes get in the way. And the clearances on the frame and forks.

Gravel bikes will have lower gears than road bikes but I'd not worry about that.

Your brakes will be fine. I'd not bother changing them.

mythste

Veteran
I'm afraid as above I'm sorry to suggest that I think the answer to your question is no. I have the 2016 Disc version and with even 28mm road tyres the clearance is minimal. I very much doubt that the clearance on yours is any wider.

Buy a Croix De Fer. :becool:

The reason gravel bikes have discs is so they can have a bigger clearance for the tyres.
You'll not be able to get as wide a tyre on your bike as the rim brakes get in the way. And the clearances on the frame and forks.
I think that's only half true; you can get very big tyres in either cantilever or v-brakes. Disc brakes came after wide tyres in the evolution of the bicycle :smile:
I would suggest that "gravel bikes" have discs because this is the fashion

(I think my teenage "road-bike" ran mainly 1-1/4" tyres with single-pivots; so ~31mm? And mudguards!

I've got an early carbon Roubaix road-frame that happily takes 700x32mm slick tyres - no guards - but they might need slight deflation to get the wheels off.

I'm afraid as above I'm sorry to suggest that I think the answer to your question is no. I have the 2016 Disc version and with even 28mm road tyres the clearance is minimal. I very much doubt that the clearance on yours is any wider.

Buy a Croix De Fer. :becool:

this , i did and i don't regret it. i know your budget is low, so as posted on another thread (i think the found a bargain one) GoOutdoors have a gravel bike for £500 which looks reasonable

Kajjal

Guru
Having ridden 28mm tyres off road I am now on 38mm on my Diverge. The difference is huge, more grip with much better cushioning for the bumps. Mountain bikers have used disc brakes off road for decades as they provide better control and power for braking with less effort. Also as mentioned above discs don’t block out tyres like callipers do. The gearing is worth considering to as off road especially up steeper trails needs lower gearing.

Top Bottom