Genesis Flyer (2016)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

potsy

Rambler
Got my Flyer earlier this year, really nice bike for the money imo.

IMG_1699[1] (2).jpg

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Looks good. I think its the single speed version of the "equilibrium" . Personally I need a full set of gears to get up hills .

andyfraser

Über Member
Looks good. I think its the single speed version of the "equilibrium" . Personally I need a full set of gears to get up hills .
I said that once. Maybe I'm lucky with the hills here but I can get up anything in my fixie that I can get up on a geared bike. :smile:

JPBoothy

Veteran
So I will be ordering it straight after Yule.:smile:
Did you get your Flyer? I bought mine last summer and I really like it. The paint finish and welding is so neat. I had decided it was going to be my play thing for a sunny day, but because of the lack of them in our country it now has mudguards on it. My rides are usually around 20-30mls (no big hills), but it feels more of an achievement than with Gears. My Knees usually disagree later in the evening though :cry:

JPBoothy

Veteran
Nice one.. It's a great feeling not having to think of changing gears, and your whole riding style changes to a steady pace. If you see a hill coming up you know to get out of the saddle earlier than you normally would so as to maintain the pace when you hit the bottom of it, and you won't go too fast as you know your legs will spin-out. I now realise that you just don't need loads of gears.

Oh, one more thing - Don't forget to take a 15mm spanner with you when you go for a ride as the wheels are not quick release so a puncture could spell disaster without the spanner... Enjoy your new bikes.

Or get a set of quick-release levers - Hope do some funky outfits...

BB

JPBoothy

Veteran
Or get a set of quick-release levers - Hope do some funky outfits...

BB
It's not that easy though as the wheels are made for threaded spindles/cones, as I was thinking the same thing. Apparently they are not usually fitted to the rear wheel because it is likely to move forward in the horizontal drop-outs because of the increased power that goes directly to the wheel when you peddle (obviously the designer has seen my thin legs). That shouldn't happen with the Flyer though as it has the bolt thingies to keep the tension on the chain. To be honest I now like the idea of not having to worry about some git nicking my wheels when it's locked up.

It's not that easy though as the wheels are made for threaded spindles/cones, as I was thinking the same thing. Apparently they are not usually fitted to the rear wheel because it is likely to move forward in the horizontal drop-outs because of the increased power that goes directly to the wheel when you peddle (obviously the designer has seen my thin legs). That shouldn't happen with the Flyer though as it has the bolt thingies to keep the tension on the chain. To be honest I now like the idea of not having to worry about some git nicking my wheels when it's locked up.

How does the power increase just because there isn't a freewheel involved? I have fitted fixed wheels with QR spindles, and don't forget Tullio Campagnolo invented his brainchild after struggling to turn a double sided fixed wheel round, (Supposedly). Many riders in the heyday of club cycling used wingnuts on fixed. My own opinion is that to many riders "fixed" equals "track", so they have to use track equipment, hence those god-awful bodges with mudguards just to accomodate rear-facing track frame ends. Anyway tGenesis have seen sense with the Flyer and fitted proper dropouts, resulting in at least 2 more sales, to me and the Hare.

JPBoothy

Veteran
I have the 2015 Flyer and my dropouts do face backwards like a track bike. I have recently added mudguards, and now have to carry two spanners! One for the wheel, and one to loosen the bolts on the rear mudguard so that I can pull it back slightly to get the wheel out. What a palava!!! I have seen bikes with the mudguard set really far back to avoid the need for a second spanner, but it looks terrible IMO. It's still a nice bike though regardless of the faffing about with the rear wheel.
Enjoy your new bikes folks :bicycle:

potsy

Rambler
I have the 2015 Flyer and my dropouts do face backwards like a track bike. I have recently added mudguards, and now have to carry two spanners! One for the wheel, and one to loosen the bolts on the rear mudguard so that I can pull it back slightly to get the wheel out. What a palava!!! I have seen bikes with the mudguard set really far back to avoid the need for a second spanner, but it looks terrible IMO. It's still a nice bike though regardless of the faffing about with the rear wheel.
Enjoy your new bikes folks :bicycle:
You need the quick release stays, they mean you don't need to carry an extra spanner, guards moves out of the way enough to get the wheel out easily :okay:

JPBoothy

Veteran
Thanks for the tip. It's a shame that I couldn't have left the 28c tyres on for that bit more comfort/protection but the mudguards wouldn't go on and I had to drop down to 25c.

Top Bottom