Gentle off-Road Routes for a beginner

Discussion in 'Mountain Biking, Trials and BMX' started by Gaz Vickers, 14 Aug 2012.

1. Gaz Vickers

Gaz Vickers Well-Known Member

Seeing as i have decided on getting a Mountain Bike, Albeit a very cheap 2nd hand one..... Does anyone know of any gentle off Road Routes/Trails etc for a beginner in or around the Heywood area. I don't want to travel to far to soon, until i'm used to riding a Bike again! :wacko:
    I have joined ''mapmayride' or whatever its called to see if i can find any existing routes, but not having much luck, So if anyone could point me in the right direction i would be grateful!

Cheers Gary. :thumbsup:

2. Dan151

Dan151 Active Member

Dunno if Heywood is near Gisburn forest but theres a blue grade trail there for you to get started on. Also if your travel a little theres Grizedale in the lakes which is brilliant to ride. Heres some sites on them
    Gisburn Forest
    Grizedale Forest

3. OP
    OP
    Gaz Vickers

A bit too far for me at the moment. But thanks anyway mate... maybe one day when i have more time on my hands! They look like great places to go. :thumbsup:

4. Sandra6

Sandra6 Veteran

What about taking the canal path?
    I'm not sure how much of it is accessible these days though.

5. OP
    OP
    Gaz Vickers

I think there is the Rochdale Canal, Just not sure of the best place to join it from Heywood. I'v tried to view on a map, but still unsure.!

6. deptfordmarmoset

deptfordmarmoset Full time tea drinker

Have you tried using cyclestreets.net? It's useful for looking at various routes and includes most cyclepaths and minor roads. http://www.cyclestreets.net/journey/3522062/ shows you a route from Heywood to Castleton and it looks rideable for a fair way south from there. I don't know how good the route to Castleton is but it's a start.

7. OP
    OP
    Gaz Vickers

Magic, Cheers for that. Good site that, And looking at that map i've found an even shorter route that i used to know.! :thumbsup:

8. deptfordmarmoset

deptfordmarmoset Full time tea drinker

Yes, cyclestreets is a great resource. I'm guessing that you're thinking of what's marked on the opencyclemap view as Chadwick Lane. http://www.opencyclemap.org/

9. OP
    OP
    Gaz Vickers

Yeah thats right. It runs from Heywood to Castle Hawk Golf course.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice