Geo question, kind of?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SGG on a bike

Popped into a local bike shop over the weekend to get a couple of Ice Creams for me and the Mrs. While we were sitting outside stuffing our faces I spotted a very clean used Cannondale Caad 8 Tiagra for sale. It has a few "extras" that come with, such as a saddle pack, helmet, two sets of pedals and shoes. Apart from the saddle pack, none of the other stuff is of much interest to me. Shoes too big, I use Spd on my other bike not SPD-SL, so unlikely to change.

The Bike garage consists of my old 1995 GT Outpost Trail, which apart from being a it heavy is brilliant and won't be going anywhere (apart form me riding it). The other bike is a Carrera Karkinos, so very definitely the budget end of the market and I wouldn't be against an upgrade.

Here's the dilemma... The GT is a 20" frame, is very comfortable and fits me well. The Carrera is a 54cm and is virtually identical to the GT geometry the way it's setup (inverted shorter stem). That wasn't deliberate, just set to what is comfortable and it turned out to be the same when measured with a tape measure for reach, top tube length, seat height etc. The Cannondale is a 58cm. I've not been back to swing a leg over it yet, but I am planning to in the next couple of days. My first thought is that it will be too big (I'm 6ft, so it might not be).

My question is this...With a larger frame the seat post won't be sticking out of the frame quite so much, so when set at the correct height for me, the bars will most likely be relatively higher, meaning a more relaxed riding position. Am I right in thinking this is the case? My second and perhaps a more obvious question is in real terms, how much difference am I likely to notice between riding the Carrera and the Cannondale?

vickster

Legendary Member
@ColinJ has a Caad and is a tallish fellow

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
@ColinJ has a Caad and is a tallish fellow
:hello:

Two in fact... An old CAAD 5 road bike, and a much newer CAAD X cyclocross/gravel/adventure/whatever bike, both 58 cm frames.

I don't like to mix my units, but for the sake of comparison... I am 6' 1" tall and find that 58 cm bikes suit me.

I would say that I have shortish legs and a longish torso for my height (leg length only 32-33"). I like to have a stretched out riding position so I fitted a long (14 cm) stem to the CAAD 5. This is what it looks like set up for me. (Note that I have lowered the stem by a couple of spacers since the photo was taken. And now have matching tyres!)

I would say that it should be quite easy to get a 58 cm to fit a 6' rider by adjusting saddle height/setback, and stem height/length/angle.

The CAAD 5 is a great frame and its fork is good too. They are light and very stiff so they build into a bike which is fun to ride and is good for climbing steep hills, unlike its rider! I would expect a CAAD 8 to be slightly better.

I haven't checked the geometry of the CAAD 8 vs CAAD 5 but would imagine that it didn't change much in the newer design.

If you think it fits - BUY!

Cycleops

Legendary Member
The Cannondale should fit you well and I think the geometry should give you a comfortable relaxed ride. You won't be able to adjust the height of the bars that much but that shouldn't be a problem. You'll be more stretched out on the Caad than on 54 frame. The top tube will be longer.

You will notice a difference between it and the Carrera but it won't be huge but I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Buy it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SGG on a bike

SGG on a bike

Thanks for your thoughts. I have an 80mm stem on the Carrera. The original was 120mm and felt stretched. It’s possible the bars don’t help either as they will also influence the feel. My main criticism of the Carrera is that it just feels slightly rough and a little unrefined. It’s only got Tourney groupset and despite having new chain and free wheel along with a decent service/ grease it doesn’t come close to how good the 25 year old Altus is on the mtb. Everything just feels smoother and more refined despite it being old and fairly basic by comparison to more modern gear.

Do you think my expectations of the Tiagra being light years ahead of the Tourney are perhaps a bit optimistic?

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks for your thoughts. I have an 80mm stem on the Carrera. The original was 120mm and felt stretched. It’s possible the bars don’t help either as they will also influence the feel. My main criticism of the Carrera is that it just feels slightly rough and a little unrefined. It’s only got Tourney groupset and despite having new chain and free wheel along with a decent service/ grease it doesn’t come close to how good the 25 year old Altus is on the mtb. Everything just feels smoother and more refined despite it being old and fairly basic by comparison to more modern gear.

Do you think my expectations of the Tiagra being light years ahead of the Tourney are perhaps a bit optimistic?
Test ride it for yourself, the shop shouldn’t mind.
The shoes etc you can sell on if in usable condition

OP
OP
SGG on a bike

SGG on a bike

That's the plan, but they're not open again until tomorrow morning. I suppose I could always stick my feet in a gro-bag to get them up to a size 11 ^_^, or just sell the shoes and other bits on, which is what I had in mind if I can't negotiate a discount.

vickster

Legendary Member
One with a cafe?

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I would say a 58cm would be bang on for you. As to feel compared to the Carrera, it will feel different as it will have different geometry, tyres, saddle bar tape etc, however how much you notice or if it is better or worse you won't know until you test ride it. You have scope to adjust the riding position by quite a bit, but if it feels really uncomfortable on a short test ride you might be best to stay away. I can echo the comments that the CAAD is an excellent frame.

OP
OP
SGG on a bike

SGG on a bike

Your local bike shop sells ice creams. What kind of bike shop is it?
It's a small shop in a neighbouring village. They do new and used sales (I suspect sale or return in the case of the Cannondale) along with cycle hire. They have an ice cream parlour attached to the shop. Very pretty village with lots of quaint thatched cottages and the bike shop is very much in keeping with it. Lovely place and lovely owners.

Somerleyton Cycles

OP
OP
SGG on a bike

SGG on a bike

I would say a 58cm would be bang on for you. As to feel compared to the Carrera, it will feel different as it will have different geometry, tyres, saddle bar tape etc, however how much you notice or if it is better or worse you won't know until you test ride it. You have scope to adjust the riding position by quite a bit, but if it feels really uncomfortable on a short test ride you might be best to stay away. I can echo the comments that the CAAD is an excellent frame.

Thanks for the input. Tyres are the same. The other items definitely different as I have double wrapped bar tape on the Carrera (touch of arthritis and it helps a bit) and I have a Brooks B17 which will be transferred over.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
People say that oversized aluminium frames are 'too harsh'... Just fit 25 C tyres and don't have them at superhigh pressures and you should be ok. I currently weigh 89 kgs (~14 stone) and with 25C Lithion tyres at 85-90 psi front and 95-100 psi rear, the bike feels fine. You might just be able to squeeze slightly bigger tyres on but I wouldn't bother trying. If you weigh less than me or ride on smoother roads then you could get away with a few psi less in each tyre.

Top Bottom