1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

George MacDonald Fraser dies. (OT)

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by Rhythm Thief, 5 Jan 2008.

1. So it says here. I'm quite sad, it's the first I've heard of it.

2. John the Monkey

John the Monkey Frivolous Cyclist

There was a good obit (written by Max Hastings) in the Daily Mail (was readig the local chippy's copy). As a big fan of the Flashman books, I was saddened to read of his passing - he had the knack for writing a great tale with a good pinch of historical accuracy thrown in. I didn't know he'd served in the second world war under General Slim (and written of his experiences) so I'll be looking those books out at some point.

3. John, "Quartered Safe Out Here" is the memoir of his service in Burma in WWII. It's an excellent book, well worth a read.

4. A great author and historian gone, while one or two of his books were not as funny as he intended, he was among the best. His Flashman books opened up a whole new world to me, his history of the Border Reivers has led to thirty years of exploring the Northern countys and I learnt more about Carlisle from"Quartered Safe Out Here" than I could from a dozen other books.
    Cush