"Get on the side of the road!"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sheddy

Legendary Member
Public Information Films - ITV tonight at 22.15 Britain Beware
Adrian Edmondson delves into the archives of the Central Office of Information, the government department behind public information films, which closed in March. He takes viewers on a nostalgic trip through 66 years of short movies and TV ads that alerted the nation to all kinds of dangers, from road safety to nuclear fallout.

Ian Cooper

Expat Yorkshireman
Dammit! I wish I were in Britain to see that. I love them Public Info films, me.

davefb

Guru
Public Information Films - ITV tonight at 22.15 Britain Beware
Adrian Edmondson delves into the archives of the Central Office of Information, the government department behind public information films, which closed in March. He takes viewers on a nostalgic trip through 66 years of short movies and TV ads that alerted the nation to all kinds of dangers, from road safety to nuclear fallout.
cool! tried recently to find the one about items dropping onto heads, if only because of the 'poem' but my google-fu failed me in finding the vid :sad:
@ian, theres loads on youtube... including some horrifically scary ones!

"
Sir Isaac Newton told us why
An apple falls down from the sky,
And from this fact, it’s very plain,
All other objects do the same.
A brick, a bolt, a bar, a cup
Invariably fall down, not up,
And every common working tool
Is governed by the self-same rule.
So when you handle tools up there,
Let your watchword be “Take Care “.
If at work you drop a spanner,
It travels in a downward manner.
At work, a fifth of accidents or more
Iillustrate old Newton’s law,
But one thing he forgot to add,
The damage won’t be half as bad
If you are wearing proper clothes,
Especially on your head and toes.
These hats and shoes are there to save
The wearer from an early grave.
So best feet forward and take care
About the kind of shoes you wear,
It’s better to be sure than dead,
So get a hat and keep your head.
Don’t think to go without is brave;
The effects of gravity can be grave…"

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
True.

He was only a young lad, 18-21 I'd say, was well-spoken and didn't swear at me (nor me at him). He just seemed to genuinely believe that a cyclist should by law be riding at about 4 inches from the kerb, lest a car want to get past.
Unfortunatly a lot of motorists know cock all about the highway code and still think we should only come out during a full moon if it falls on a Sunday ! I would not worry too much

OP
OP
Hip Priest

Hip Priest

Veteran
Aye, you're right. I rarely have incidents, but I've had three these last couple of weeks: First the one above, then I got beeped for cycling two-abreast on Saturday morning on a quite road with no traffic coming the other way, and today I got 'overtaken' in heavy traffic whilst in primary and about 3ft from the car in front.

NormanD

Lunatic Asylum Escapee
Aye, you're right. I rarely have incidents, but I've had three these last couple of weeks: First the one above, then I got beeped for cycling two-abreast on Saturday morning on a quite road with no traffic coming the other way, and today I got 'overtaken' in heavy traffic whilst in primary and about 3ft from the car in front.

North East cycling there HP ... can't beat it :dry: ... I must admit I never let any slight road incident phase me, well apart from the bus driver that cut me up and I left a 4.5ft clean streak down the side of his dirty bus with first my elbow, then my shoulder. I made sure when I caught up with him in the metro centre bus park, he got a little bit more than a piece of my mind ;)

other than that, I just ignore what motorist do that haven't really put me in danger (in other words clipped or forced me to emergency brake) ...I just think in my mind ...TOSSERS! and enjoy the rest of my ride :thanks:

Top Bottom