Get on your bike and help us protect children

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

toonrider

Hello everyone.
I have 250 places allocated in the Northernrockcyclone cyclone challenge events and am looking for riders to help us raise vital funds to protect children.
There are 3 different distances which are 31, 62 and 100 miles respectively.
There is NO minimum sponsorship requirement, all we ask is that you raise as much as you can.
If you want more info here is the link to the official site :-
http://www.northernrockcyclone.com/CycloneChallenge.asp

or if you want to know more about NSPCC Childline please go to :-
www.nspcc.org.uk
Or give me an e-mail at dmitchel@nspcc.org.uk

I am also looking for venues to place posters advertising our participation in this event.

Thank you; ;)
Danny Mitchell
community Fundraising Manager
NSPCC Childline

Shaun

Founder
I've copied this into Rides, Events, Clubs and Lift Shares to increase exposure. :ohmy:

Dave5N

Über Member
This sort of fundraising really annoys me. It implies that a child somewhere, will be vulnerable if someone doesn't have a bike ride one Sunday.

I don't want child protection to be a lottery based on people tootling round their local park.

If you are concerned about a child's welfare phone the police.

Now.

Dave5N said:
This sort of fundraising really annoys me. It implies that a child somewhere, will be vulnerable if someone doesn't have a bike ride one Sunday.

I don't want child protection to be a lottery based on people tootling round their local park.

Now.

This reply stinks of the transition from Acne Cream to After Shave ! Dave i know nothing about you but i'l bet a pound to a penny that you are not very mature in years ?

the NSPCC do fantastic work for both children and familys that need help and support and whether people get on their bikes or not there will always be children in a vulnerable situation that need help ... and because it is such a worthy cause i would imagine that alot of people that would'nt normally cycle will get on their (or borrowed) bikes and have a bash at it

Phone the Police ? ... They will deal with the immediate situation and remove the child from danger but it's people like the NSPCC (& other charities) that put in the long term commitment to the childs welfare

Simon

Dave5N

Über Member
Jakes Dad said:
This reply stinks of the transition from Acne Cream to After Shave ! Dave i know nothing about you but i'l bet a pound to a penny that you are not very mature in years ?

the NSPCC do fantastic work for both children and familys that need help and support and whether people get on their bikes or not there will always be children in a vulnerable situation that need help ... and because it is such a worthy cause i would imagine that alot of people that would'nt normally cycle will get on their (or borrowed) bikes and have a bash at it

Phone the Police ? ... They will deal with the immediate situation and remove the child from danger but it's people like the NSPCC (& other charities) that put in the long term commitment to the childs welfare

Simon

That's a pound you owe me then. ;)

ANd that's my point. The welfare of vulnerable children should not depend on people raising (or not raising) sufficient funds. If the work is important, the state should fund it, not leave it to tin-rattlers.

Dave5N said:
That's a pound you owe me then. :angry:

ANd that's my point. The welfare of vulnerable children should not depend on people raising (or not raising) sufficient funds. If the work is important, the state should fund it, not leave it to tin-rattlers.

One_Pound_Note_.jpg

I agree that it should be state funded as well but the reality is that the government dont do nearly enough for vulnerable children in fact they dont do nearly enough for anyone (except themselves)

Maybe i read your post wrong Dave ? but it sounded (to me) like you were having a pop for the ride being advertised on here !

Simon

OP
OP
T

toonrider

NSPCC and Childline

Dave5N said:

Now.

There will be many children who are vulnerable during the northernrockcyclone bike ride on that Saturday and actually on all of the other days of the week, BUT what this event along with many others does is to finance our sevices to allow children and young people to access help and support.
We always need volunteers and fundraising to continue to offer our services to children and families that have been affected in some way by neglect or abuse.
We have to constantly develop our services to keep up with modern technology such as our internet site there4me.com which allows children to access information, advice and support. More and more children send texts rather than phoning so we are developing a text service to enable more children to access our services.
A major part of any event we do is to raise awareness of the NSPCC and Childline services.
I agree that people should phone the police but they can also phone the NSPCC's child protection helpline on 0808 800 5000 and children in distress or danger can call childline on 0800 1111. Approximately 4500 children call childline every day but lack of funds mean that a large % of these calls do not get answered. PLEASE HELP US ANSWER MORE CALLS
There are a lot of services that the NSPCC provide in addition to those above and without constant fundraising they would simply cease to exist.
I'm sure if you spoke to anyone who has used our services they would tell you how vital they are and how we should do more fundraising.
For those of us who have been protected throughout our childhood we should thank our lucky stars as there are many who haven't been and aren't.
We were all children once, and don't you think that all children should have the right to live happy lives in a protected environment to fulfill their potential?

This event as with all others is purely voluntary so no one is forcing you or anyone else to do it, we just hope that there will be those people out there who will decide to help.

Thank you;
Danny

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I'm not trying to enter the protecting children aspect of this debate but a couple of recent e-mails put me in mind of this thread. Yesterday I received an invite to ride the Trough of Bowland - 50 mile fanatics route! ? - at an overall cost of £115. £15 entry fee plus £100 minimum sponsorship of which £50 is payable up front. One view I have is 50 miles is nothing really and there's going to have to be some damn good organistaion to make it value for money and a great day out.

I can't help but feel the organisers are missing the point and there are now far too many charity rides. I've no problem with charitable giving, though for personal reasons only support one, and I'll take part in a few rides each year for a reasonable fee but £115 is ridiculous when I can do this for free anytime I wish! We have a couple of very good local rides I enter each year and happily drop £25 or so in the bucket, if they ever push it to the level of £50 or above I'll stop.

Top Bottom