Get paid for leaving the car.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Nah. As a country, we're just getting lazy.

How are they expecting them to move between the various forms of transport, let alone home to car.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
It sounds like a good idea, but it's a one off payment and it will be interesting to see what, if any, long term impact it has.

For me it wouldn't be anywhere near enough money.
An annual travel pass would cost me around £1,000 (my employers get a discount and give an interest free loan to spread the cost over a year).
Then I'd need to factor Mrs NDs commuting costs in as our drop her at work and pick her up on my way. Call that another £800.

So, technically in front finance wise for year one.

But the killer would be the additional time.
At the moment, I spend around 2.5 hours a day commuting. Switch to public transport and I'm looking at adding at least an hour to that, and that's on a good day when everything aligns perfectly.

So, it's a no from me.

Slick

Guru
This came up at work in another form when during another borinng discussion about why I insist on cycling to work despite their perceived ideas of the dangers. I reminded them of all sorts but they went into meltdown when I reckoned that they would need to pay for their car parking space. Then someone mentioned this scheme which I reckoned sounded okay but as usual the poor public transport links were cited as the biggest issue for where we work. The worst thing about this is it's true, and to make matters worse, we're just behind an international airport.

Slick

Guru
Not sure I would if I'm honest. I enjoy my cycling to work and whatever leisure rides I get but to go car free would be difficult for me for various reasons.

colly

Re member eR
Just give me the £3K. I would be happy.

On a more serious note. People think it's going to a be a win/win when they get electric cars sorted and most people have them. Zero RFL.
But the fact is the country raises something like £40 billion quid from transport taxes and if fuel isn't taxed then it will have to come from somewhere.
Road Fund Licence is the obvious choice and I can see in the future one possible method could be based of the footprint of the vehicle. Say £250 / sq.m. So your average 4m long x 2m wide car being 8sq.m. will set you back £2K per year. Insert your own figures as you see fit.

One reason will be to simply raise revenue another would be to encourage smaller vehicles.

We all know what is needed and so do governments of all colours. If the rest of the country had as much spent on public transport per head of local population as do the people in London we might just find ourselves on the right track.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Would I have to move to Coventry? If so, the commute would be untenable

Jimidh

Veteran
To make these schemes work government needs to heavily invest into public transport and cycling infrastructure.

I can cycle to work in 45 minutes, drive it in 20 minutes but public transport would take about an hour and a half.

For various reasons I need to be home earlier some days so I couldn’t do it unless public transport was improved dramatically.

To make these schemes work government needs to heavily invest into public transport and cycling infrastructure.

I can cycle to work in 45 minutes, drive it in 20 minutes but public transport would take about an hour and a half.

For various reasons I need to be home earlier some days so I couldn’t do it unless public transport was improved dramatically.

Ah, but that would mean actually dealing with the problems in the system, which sounds like it would be hard work and involve politically difficult decisions....

Would not work in these parts, how would the people who live in this small village get their kids to school, in the village.

I think that's why it is being suggested in Coventry, and not say, Glencoe.

That said, I live in a small village and I'm fine without a car 99.99% of the time, because we have a decent public transport network and a network of traffic free cycle lanes that I whine about all the time, but are far better than what most UK residents have available.

screenman

Legendary Member
I think that's why it is being suggested in Coventry, and not say, Glencoe.

That said, I live in a small village and I'm fine without a car 99.99% of the time, because we have a decent public transport network and a network of traffic free cycle lanes that I whine about all the time, but are far better than what most UK residents have available.

I think you may have missed my sarcasm.

Top Bottom