Get rid of a partition?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

woohoo

Veteran
willhub said:
I got put off Partition Magic when it destroyed a partition.

I got put off Partition Magic when it became part of Symantec!

I've switched to using Acronis Disk Director (got it for £18 off Amazon) and it works fine with XP and Vista (32 bit in my case). I also use Acronis True Image for taking and backing-up system images and don't use any of the system restore functions.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
hackbike 666 said:
I did something like that but I have old 250gb/300gb and 400gb drives which I have been transferring onto a 1.5TB.

Reading the thread on making partions, is there a way to reverse this? I have a laptop with about 20 gig where everything is, and there is a second partition with about the same with nothing on, just thought its a waste of memory and wondered if I could just add them both together to make one 40 gig memory? Thanks.

Paragon Partition Manager can merge partitions without loosing data. I merged the wrong partitions by mistake once, fortunately I didn't loose any data and was able to split them again (also without loss of data)...

Thanks for that but as I have just seen this post I managed to do it with disk wipe and kill disk and it seemed to clear it.Then Partition Magic could do it's work.Disk is fine now and does not show up as bad.Will keep your prog for future reference.:biggrin:

Link wouldn't load anyway,kept timing out for me. :ohmy:

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Paragon Partition Manager also has a tendency to turn up on the "free" cover disks you get with computer magazines, it is the cheapest way to get a copy...

twowheelsgood

It's actually good practice to keep your data and operating systems on different partitions or physical disks as it's easy then to restore your OS (or even change it) without zapping your data, vids and docs.

I usually have a 40GB partition for the OS and the rest as data. Then I simply right-click "my documents" and more it to the data partition.

I would not recommend what you are doing, I think it was set-up correctly as you have it now, it just takes a bit of discipline to use it as intended.

OP
OP
col

col

Legendary Member
twowheelsgood said:
It's actually good practice to keep your data and operating systems on different partitions or physical disks as it's easy then to restore your OS (or even change it) without zapping your data, vids and docs.

I usually have a 40GB partition for the OS and the rest as data. Then I simply right-click "my documents" and more it to the data partition.

I would not recommend what you are doing, I think it was set-up correctly as you have it now, it just takes a bit of discipline to use it as intended.

You will have to excuse my ignorance, but does this mean I use the empty partition of about 20 gig to save all my pictures and files and folders ect? And keep the part where the xp programme is on to use for other things like browsing and email ect? Because when I look in my computer, they show as two seperate drives?
Im still unsure how to use or work it for my use?

twowheelsgood

Basically yes.

You keep your windows and programs on one partition and come the day you start-up and Windows is goosed for whatever reason, you can wipe the partition without losing your documents, pictures etc.

If you don't do this then you could be into a long recovery process, especially if the file system itself has been trashed and you might not be able to recover everything.

Most PCs don't ship with a copy of Windows, the have a licensed "restore image" of WIndows. This simply over-writes the broken OS in an emergency. You naturally lose any data or changes not part of that image when restored.

You should also take a back-up of anything you actually want to keep because the disk WILL evenetually die.

Question.

I have a 1TB hard drive.I think it's got Windows installed.Does it go that if I keep it clean of progs and stuff then the operating system on it will load up faster?

Top Bottom