Getting a Gecko...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KneesUp

Guru
As the de-facto carer of a giant African land snail and two guinea pigs, I'd be sure that your son is prepared for the fact that it's going to need attention every single day, but I guess other people think of these things, unlike me!

OP
OP
LeetleGreyCells

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
As the de-facto carer of a giant African land snail and two guinea pigs, I'd be sure that your son is prepared for the fact that it's going to need attention every single day, but I guess other people think of these things, unlike me!
I cannot count how many times I have told him that over the week. We have several weeks until we get the gecko so time to drill the message in. I do anticipate the novelty wearing off or at least lessening. Over the last year, he's had sea monkeys - brine shrimp; not a pet as such but he does take very good care of them - aerating the water everyday, feeding, replacing water, etc. Not a great responsibility (he is only 10), but one he does take seriously. He was quite upset the other day when one of his sea monkeys (which are quite large now) had died. He still has roughly 20 more though!

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Met this fella in Brisbane Botanical Gardens a few weeks ago. Is this a Bearded Dragon? He seems pretty big but was good company as I drank my coffee. About 30cm long
IMG_20190205_101929.jpg

OP
OP
LeetleGreyCells

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
Met this fella in Brisbane Botanical Gardens a few weeks ago. Is this a Bearded Dragon? He seems pretty big but was good company as I drank my coffee. About 30cm long View attachment 457267
The shape looks like a bearded dragon, but I've not seen any with markings that clear - it could be the difference between captivity and the wild. But then I'm completely new to all this reptile malarky!

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Yes bacteria is worth being aware of but I would be more concerned about the reptile’s health and the hygiene of the viv than your guys. If you start a routine you’ll be fine.

We’ve had reptiles, chickens and dogs since birth at Chez HC. Healthiest kids ever. Awareness rather than the fear being bandied about upthread.

Crickets were a PITA but for very young beardies or geckos they are a safe source of protein. Crickets stink, escape and party hard at night. Move up to locusts when you can.

My daughter farms Morio grubs and Dubia roaches. We occasionally buy in locusts and recently, Black Solidierfly larvae. She dips an insect in calcium powder 6 days a week and once in vitamin powder. Sometimes sprinkles the above dust on the salad.

Having her own bearded dragon has been the best thing for my very introverted 9 year old daughter. He (the dragon) is worth every penny for all the goodness he brings her. He is almost dog like in many ways and gets excited when he sees her and at feeding time. He is very cute when he goes off to bed at night and build himself a bed. Definitely has knocked the tortoise off his perch in favouritism terms.

Check out a guy on YouTube called Cliff. Mad as a box of frogs but very informative on reptiles.

I want a chameleon myself. For a change.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
My DinL is a vet, micro biologist.
They have the Dragon, and small kids.
Just be aware that all contact is a potential risk.
The salad they eat is probably the biggest risk as this is a e-coli breeding ground.
Again, bit of common sense and good house keeping will keep them perfectly safe.

Common sense and good house keeping didn't protect my youngest from E Coli.

A bod from Public Health England told me: An infectious dose of Salmonella is circa 1 million bacteria. For E Coli it's a mere 10-50 bacteria.
Lucky that most E Coli is harmless, but the occasional nasty one comes along, causing life-long health implications for some, in this case very close to being fatal.

Once recovered, she was old enough that I didn't feel any need to wrap her in a bubble. So no qualms about exposure to high risk animals and so on.

Not sure I'd be so happy about those risks with younger children though.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Common sense and good house keeping didn't protect my youngest from E Coli.

A bod from Public Health England told me: An infectious dose of Salmonella is circa 1 million bacteria. For E Coli it's a mere 10-50 bacteria.
Lucky that most E Coli is harmless, but the occasional nasty one comes along, causing life-long health implications for some, in this case very close to being fatal.

Once recovered, she was old enough that I didn't feel any need to wrap her in a bubble. So no qualms about exposure to high risk animals and so on.

Not sure I'd be so happy about those risks with younger children though.

It's a threat to all of us when we eat supermarket salads and certain fridge foods, especially if it's on the turn.
Young and old and those with weakened immune systems that'll be me then, should be more careful.

It's a bit like Legionnaires, not that common but nasty when it hits.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Why not get the child a tamagochi or one of those baby dolls that demand attention and tell him he's got to wash his hands after touching them?

OP
OP
LeetleGreyCells

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
My son kept Beardies for his kids, i seem to remember they needed a supplement (vitamins perhaps) because they don't get it in captivity. Sorry, a bit vague but something worth asking...
I’ve read exactly this and plan to get my son to add it to food as instructed.

An 11 year old boy & personal hygiene what could possibly go wrong :rolleyes: :laugh:
His dad (i.e. me) is a complete health and hygiene nut. Trust me, my boy knows about hygiene.

Yes bacteria is worth being aware of but I would be more concerned about the reptile’s health and the hygiene of the viv than your guys. If you start a routine you’ll be fine.

We’ve had reptiles, chickens and dogs since birth at Chez HC. Healthiest kids ever. Awareness rather than the fear being bandied about upthread.

Crickets were a PITA but for very young beardies or geckos they are a safe source of protein. Crickets stink, escape and party hard at night. Move up to locusts when you can.

My daughter farms Morio grubs and Dubia roaches. We occasionally buy in locusts and recently, Black Solidierfly larvae. She dips an insect in calcium powder 6 days a week and once in vitamin powder. Sometimes sprinkles the above dust on the salad.

Having her own bearded dragon has been the best thing for my very introverted 9 year old daughter. He (the dragon) is worth every penny for all the goodness he brings her. He is almost dog like in many ways and gets excited when he sees her and at feeding time. He is very cute when he goes off to bed at night and build himself a bed. Definitely has knocked the tortoise off his perch in favouritism terms.

Check out a guy on YouTube called Cliff. Mad as a box of frogs but very informative on reptiles.

I want a chameleon myself. For a change.

Excellent, thanks for this. I’ll make a note of calcium powder as well as the vitamins. My son’s been watching lots of YouTube videos on geckos so I’ll ask him about ‘Cliff’.

Why not get the child a tamagochi or one of those baby dolls that demand attention and tell him he's got to wash his hands after touching them?
Tamagochi? Not a chance. More digital, electronic rubbish. We have enough with an Xbox and tablet. And can you really see an 11-year-old boy with a doll?! (Action Man doesn’t count)

Real life experiences are much more preferred than virtual.

Last edited:

Levo-Lon

Guru
The seller should tell you about Calcium powder, tho it may be in the foods you mentioned.

You will need calcium if your just using live food and a salad feed, though i only feed a Bearded Dragon, small amount with the feed.

Top Bottom