Getting a Raleigh Stowaway on a Virgin Train

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bodhbh

Guru
I've got a Virgin train up to Manchester from Euston tomorrow, want to take a bike, and I've not booked a space.

As it turns out I have an old 70s Stowaway in the shed awaiting a refurb. Would there be any problem taking this on as a folder? The space envelope even when folded is quite big. There are no dimension requirements I can find on the website.

I'd be inclined just to go ahead and take it, but I know from experience Virgin staff are probable the most picky when trying to get un-booked bikes on trains....

KneesUp

Guru
I presume there are no spaces left to book?

OP
OP
Bodhbh

Bodhbh

Guru
I presume there are no spaces left to book?

Yes there were some - drama over. The situation was a little complicated as someone booked the ticket for me, booked a bike space, but didn't get any bike reservation tickets. I know now with Virgin you have to print them out at the station.

Although in general, I'd be interested to hear if anyone hasn't got their folder on a train because it didn't fold small enuff.

Matthames

Über Member
[QUOTE 3100780, member: 45"]You rarely get back to back seats these days. They change direction at the table seats so that they can cram more people in.[/QUOTE]

There seems to have been a trend in the airline style seats by the train operating companies. It is certainly the case with standard class. First class on the other hand tend to have more table seats and lots more space, which is why I tend to book first class when travelling longer distances.

One thing I find with the Virgin Pendelinos is that the bottom compartment for the luggage has a little step on it, which if you have the longer seat post on a Brompton, makes it difficult to stow if somebody has taken the top compartment. With a standard seat post you could probably get away with it.

OP
OP
Bodhbh

Bodhbh

Guru
Can you not just stow it between the seats like you can a suitcase/bag anyway??

I didn't try, but it would be close I would think. In the end I used the reservation on the way out. On the way back, I couldn't find any platform staff in time, so ended up folding it in a huff and sat with it in the vestibule. The staff were fine with it like that - despite having aload of luggage with it.

As an aside, they're nice bikes - 43 quid off eBay and miles better than my OHs 100 quid MTB. Needs a bit of love tho.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
[QUOTE 3100780, member: 45"]You rarely get back to back seats these days. They change direction at the table seats so that they can cram more people in.[/QUOTE]

Really? I can't say I have particularly noticed, but then, just as long as I can find such a seat (which I usually can), why would I count how many others there are??

Top Bottom