Getting alot of vibration through the pedals.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mezza86

Regular
Hi all, im new here and joined for some advice. Ive been doing my own bike maintenance since the shops are closed and have recently fitted a new cassette and chain. The gears work fine but when I ride in anything higher than 5th i get vibration through the pedals. Has anyone got an idea what it could be?

Gunk

Guru
Is your chain rubbing on the front derailleur?

Globalti

Legendary Member
How worn were the chainrings before you fitted the new bits? Possibly they had worn to match the chain. It's not always necessary to replace the chainrings but sounds as if it might be in your case.

Reactions: gbb
OP
OP
Mezza86

Mezza86

Regular
How worn were the chainrings before you fitted the new bits? Possibly they had worn to match the chain. It's not always necessary to replace the chainrings but sounds as if it might be in your case.
They seem fine to be honest. Cant see any severe wear as such.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Can you post a photo of the teeth close up?

Did you ensure you routed the chain correctly between the two jockey wheels? It's a common error to get the chain outside the tab that sets the gap between the two parts of the cage. Even experienced bike fettlers get it wrong.

OP
OP
Mezza86

Mezza86

Regular

Did you ensure you routed the chain correctly between the two jockey wheels? It's a common error to get the chain outside the tab that sets the gap between the two parts of the cage. Even experienced bike fettlers get it wrong.
I'll get some photos for u and post asap. The chain is routes correctly as far as im aware but ill post anything people may need to see.

dodgy

I bet you've mis-routed the chain through the rear derailleur, that would account for the vibrations.

Edit: i was beaten to it.

dodgy

Yup, and the relationship with the derailleur and the cassette changes depending on what gear you're in, so I'm even more convinced it's misrouted.

OP
OP
Mezza86

Mezza86

Regular
Ive checked the bike over abit more.. the chain isnt rubbing on the front derailleur, the while is seating properly into the frame. Here is what the chain routing and

Ive checked the bike over a little more and the wheel is seated properly into the frame and there is no contact with the front derailleur either. Im trying to upload pics of my chain ring and chain routing but its telling me the file doesnt have an allowed extension.. what ever that means

OP
OP
Mezza86

Mezza86

Regular

Im trying to post pictures of the chain ring and chain routing but its not allowing me. The files dont have an allowed extention. Is there another way I can upload pics?

gbb

Legendary Member
Mis routing through the RD jockey wheels is a good possibility but equally, I've had a few occasions immediately after firing a new chain I got a mechanical kind of whirr and a very slight vibration feeling through the cranks.i assumed it's as the chain is bedding in to older teeth. It passes after a ride or two.

Top Bottom