Getting back from JOG ...Plane or train?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
Train from inverness to Brighton costs £165 plus bike and three changes:eek: , Easy jet cost £81 to Gatwick including bike:bravo: ...no brainer ...but got no bike bag at inverness to pack the bike:banghead: .

Has anybody flown easyjet back from inverness? If so how did you pack the bike? Get the bag etc? Is there some way of getting a bike bag ready to collect at the airport? LBS??Also what is the best way to get from JOG to inverness other than riding it?

TIA:smile:

Glenn

Veteran
You could get the train from Wick http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/service/timesandfares/WCK/INV/tomorrow/0615/dep Inverness airport is about 7 miles out of town, not sure about the bike bags though

bof

Senior member. Oi! Less of the senior please
Or book your last night's accommodation in Caithness or Inverness after checking you can post them your bike bag in advance of your ride?

Canrider

Guru
There's also the Orkney Bus, which will pick people up in JOG and take them to Inverness. The bus, from memory, should have *room* for a bike, whether they are willing to take it is another matter!

snorri

Legendary Member
Train from inverness to Brighton costs £165 plus bike and three changes:eek: ,
Have you studied this closely? The price you quote will include a sleeping berth Inverness to London, so the saving on a night in hotel or hostel has to be factored in. The bike goes free in the sleeper, no bagging required. I would think there would be only one change of train in London (just after breakfast time 0745).

rb58

Enigma
I cycle back to Wick, then flew from there to Gatwick the next day, changing at Edinburgh. And you can walk to Wick airport from the town centre. It was a very relaxing journey. And think there's a local bike shop that will box and courier your bike home. Or post your bike bag to your lodgings and take it on the fight with you. About £100 for the flight as I remember.

OP
OP
BigonaBianchi

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
Thanks guys...

well right now im looking at all the options including riding back from JOG to the south coast. I hadn't looked deeper att he train cost/sleeper etc so thanks...and I wasn't aware BA flew from wick to Gatwick...just assumed it would be easy jet from inverness.

Right now Im favouring the ride home with a plan b of wick airport plan c inverness airport, plan d train, plan e swim down.:smile:

Have you studied this closely? The price you quote will include a sleeping berth Inverness to London, so the saving on a night in hotel or hostel has to be factored in. The bike goes free in the sleeper, no bagging required. I would think there would be only one change of train in London (just after breakfast time 0745).
I have used the Inverness/London sleeper quite a few times, you need to firstly check out the Advanced fare, as last year i got the Fare for less that £20 pounds, then I had the choose of either the Airline type seat for free or the a berth, I chose a berth total was £ 54.00 I have used the seat only before and have had a reasonable sleep. I guess this year allowing for the increase in fare's it should be about £65. plus you will need to allow getting back to Inverness from JOG and From Euston to Brighton.

One twatist problem you have with the train is the train arrived in Euston at about 6.45am, if you cannot get to the First Capital Connect platform gates before 7.000am the jobs worthies will stop you and make you wait until 10:00am as per the rules. 3 times I have had to sit out now because I just missed the deadline, last time I cycled to London bridge to waste time and picked the train up there and no one stopped me which was about 8.30AM.

Check Flybe as they used to fly from Gatwick to Wick and Aberdeen

cnb

Veteran
I rode back to Wick' caught the train to Inverness then hired a car point to point. dropping it off in Newcastle....At the start of my le jog i hired a car from Newcastle point to point and dropped it off in Penzance.... Better than sitting on a train for hours like i did the previous year

snorri

Legendary Member
One twatist problem you have with the train is the train arrived in Euston at about 6.45am, if you cannot get to the First Capital Connect platform gates before 7.000am the jobs worthies will stop you and make you wait until 10:00am as per the rules.
The direct sleeper from Inverness arrives Euston at 07.43, then cycle to Victoria for the Brighton train.

The direct sleeper from Inverness arrives Euston at 07.43, then cycle to Victoria for the Brighton train.

Well, I know I am ageing and maybe not stepping up to the Mark but having checked my Log, I see I arrived at the First Capital Connect Gate in St Pancras at 1 Minute Past 7.00am
I think since then they have changed the routings, as there is a Sleeper that arrives in Euston at 6:47am from Inverness, but it has to connect in Edinburgh and not run Direct. :-))

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Plan F - take the ferry from JoG to Burwick, cycle to Kirkwall (and spend a few nights there), then take the ferry to Aberdeen, from where you can pick up a direct train to London.

Top Bottom